𝐱𝐥𝐢𝐢𝐢. just like dirty dancing

"cause I don't even care about
the time I got left here."

MY WHOLE LIFE, BASICALLY SINCE THE DAWN of time, it was like winter didn't even count. It was only summer that really mattered. All I cared about was that very first wave. The feeling of entering a new aura, one year after the last. That was my real new year.

Nothing was particularly different about that summer. I had just come back one year older than the last. I didn't know what the summer would bring. Maybe I should have. It can't stay the same all the time, can it?

If I had never gone out during that hurricane, I would have been able to lay out the rest of my life to anyone. I'd graduate with a degree that I'd never use, Marry Rafe Cameron or some other entitled kook boy, probably have a few kids and become one of those stereotypical unhappy alcoholic moms that really just doesn't give a shit anymore. To be fair, I wouldn't.

I can still recall the first time I saw him. It was my freshman year of high school, and I had everything I needed. Me and Lucas had a big fight the night before and I was at the record store with a few of my friends, including Sarah, and there he was, browsing alone.

I wished I could be him. Not caring about anything or what anyone thought about me. I hadn't really seen him since the end of that school year, and he looked so different with his blonde locks and much more fit body. I could hardly recognize him.

Still chuckling at one of Sarah's comments, My face fell as I looked away from them, letting out a sigh and looking down at my hands. That was when I looked over at him and his blue eyes met mine.

He must have seen that I was upset because he continued staring at me for a few moments before I eventually looked over at my friends. I wasn't listening to anything they were saying, and didn't bother to fake a smile as I walked away from them into an aisle away from them.