𝐱𝐥. somewhere in the haze

In case of death,
that’s what I want,
that’s what I want.

IT WOULD BE A RATHER LONG NIGHT for the remaining pogues on the yacht after leaving behind both John B and Bennie in a place that they knew would be dangerous. A mutual feeling of guilt clogged up any room for high spirits.

They’d only gotten a single call from John B, and the pogues hesitantly left him and Bennie behind with the hope of meeting the pair back in the Outer Banks.

Red had been catching up with Sarah and Cleo when she noticed Pope acting strange. He was weirdly quiet, and when he did speak, all Red got from him was short answers, and he didn’t even laugh at her corning jokes. It was like he was hiding something.

While Sarah, Cleo, and Kie got themselves involved in their separate conversation, Pope stepped aside and wandered to the other side of the boat, which Red followed in the hope of finding out why he had been acting so strange.

“Hey, Buddy,” Red called, making her presence known to Pope, who turned his head in her direction and leaned back into his chair. Red sat beside him, nudging him lightly with her elbow. “Pope, what’s going on?”

“Nothing-”

“No, don’t say nothing.” Red interrupted, not about to take bullshit from the boy. “What’s going on? Your awkwardly quiet.” Pope looked at her as if thinking about saying something or not. Red tilted her head sympathetically, resting her hand on his knee and shaking it gently. “Hey, you can talk to me about anything, you know that.”

Pope took a breath, finally ready to let whatever he had to say out of him. “Red, I saw something and I don’t want you to overreact, but it’s eating me up.”