'i'm here. i'll help.'

• —————— ᯽—————— •

chapter seventeen: "i'm here. i'll help."

dedicated to:
iwritewhenimboredlol
;)

—————— ᯽—————— •

     VERA'S STEPS WERE SMALL AND SLOW as she made her way back to her room. Tears continued to blind her vision, and her chest ached from both pain and betrayal.

She was confused from the weird outburst Hayden had.

Did he always feel that way?

Well, to be honest, she could care less what he felt right now. He hurt her. He's not supposed to do that, he's her best friend!

Though as more angry tears threatened to fall, Vera kept herself in line. She wasn't going to let this bother her.

She had more important things to worry about.

Such as why he mother was standing in the middle of her dorm room, rummaging through Julie Gaffney's dresser drawers.

"Mom what the fuck!?

The woman turned around quickly. She grinned warmly at the sight of her daughter. "Hey, honey."

"That's not even my dresser. What the hell are you doing?" Vera yelled, not bothering to greet her mother back. There was no reason to.

"Oh I know. I just wanted to see what type of roommate they put you with."

The brunette's eyes were raised, a mixture of embarrassment and horror flooding every inch of  her face. She let everything register in her mind, just to make sure that this shit was actually happening before she stormed towards her mother.

"You're insane." She spat, ripping the pair of Julie's athletic shorts from Angela's hands. "I don't know what makes you think this is okay."

"I just want to know who my daughter is around. Is that so wrong?"

Vera scoffed while she went to return the shorts. "Why're you here anyways? Why couldn't you've just called like a normal human bei-" The girl stopped right in her tracks then, staring at the pile of medical textbooks stacked ontop of her side of the dresser.

She angrily ripped one from the top, turning towards her mom. "You're kidding."

"That's what I came here to talk to you about." Angela replied calmly. She had already taken a seat on Vera's bed, and patted a spot next to her.

When Vera shook her head, the mother sighed.

"You're behind on the course I signed you up for." She began, watching Vera cross her arms. "I didn't just spend all this money for you to be failing."

"Mom, I told you I didn't want to do it." The girl snapped.

Angela managed to keep herself under control because normally she'd lash out. She sighed deeply, slowly getting up from the bed.