love is embarrassing

• —————— ᯽—————— •

chapter thirty-three: love is embarrassing

• —————— ᯽—————— •

     THE FOLLOWING MORNING, Adam is seated on top of his kitchen countertop with a bowl of Count Chocula. His shirt is still lightly damp with old tears and his cheeks are flushed, but he seems to be enjoying his morning as there's a small grin on his lips while he reads the back of the cereal box.

He doesn't hear his sister walk in, and jumps slightly when she opens the cabinet next to him.

"Morning,"

"Hey,"

"How are you feeling?" Gracelyn rips the box from his hands and pours herself a bowl. "I'm guessing better since you're all smiley."

Adam let's out a breathy chuckle. "I guess. 'Just thinking about how coach would kill me if he found out I was eating this junk." He shoves another spoonful in his mouth.

"Dad would also kill you if he found out you were here right now." She adds while turning around, pressing her back against the counter top.

"I didn't realize so many people have it out for me."

"Yeah." She agrees, taking a bite, then continues while she chews. "I'm guessing that girl you were so hung up about last night wants to kill you too."

"Mmmh." Adam hums, not bothering to take the hint.

Gracelyn stares at him, and eventually raises her brows. "So, you're just not going to tell me what that was about?"

He shakes his head and jumps off the counter. "Nope."

"Adam," She warns.

"There's nothing to tell." He lies while washing out the milk in his bowl. "I swear, it wasn't that big of a deal. I was just tired."

"I'm not going to take that answer, Ads." She sighs, setting her bowl beside her, and watches how Adam decides to finish washing the rest of the dishes in the sink. "I know it's just going to keep building up if you don't talk about it."

The boy shrugs a shoulder. "I know, but I don't want to talk about it."

Gracelyn wants to groan at her brother's stubbornness. She wants to shout and slap his cheek because just by looking at him, she knows he fucked something up. But, that would scare him, and she would be another person that he felt like he needed to hide from.

She was not going to take after Philip Banks.

"Okay, fine." She breathed out, sticking her hands up in defense when he looked at her. "Don't tell me, but I won't be there to help you when everything starts to crumble."

That was a lie. Of course she would be there for him.

Anything, for her baby brother.

But it did successfully earn his attention, because he knew it would eventually drive him to do something crazy if he didn't take care of it.