'she hates me'

• —————— ᯽—————— •

chapter thirty-two: 'she hates me'

{a/n:

olivia's new album 'guts' was on repeat while i was writing this...

enjoy! }

• —————— ᯽—————— •

    ALMOST TRIPPING DOWN the steps, Adam hurried down the staircase. "Vera, please, it's not what it looked like!" He called out. "I can explain!"

People were starting to look. He didn't even bother to acknowledge the fact that he was making a scene. He could only focus on the girl that was running from him.

Panic was clawing at his chest.

This couldn't be happening.

Vera was already out of the house and on the front porch when he managed to grab ahold of her wrist. In a quick movement, she spun around and slapped him. Hard.

She'd never hit anyone before. It didn't feel right, but she was too blinded.

"Let go of me!"

Adam rocked back. He let go of her wrist and brought his hand to his cheek, where a mean, red splotch began to form underneath.

It was the only way." He desperately breathed out. "I promise, just please let me explain!"

She didn't want him to hear it. Vera believed that he'd come up with a stupid justification, just like all the other guys she'd been with did.

But, thing was, Adam wasn't just any guy. He was different, and that's what was making this hurt.

"I thought we were getting somewhere! I tho... I thought maybe..." She couldn't finish it as her throat closed up, and she whimpered. After a moment of looking away, she bellowed, "But seriously, her? Out of everyone-"

"Vera, will you stop and listen to me!?" He was beyond frustrated.

Yet, there was guiltless glimmer in his eyes, and that's what made Vera upset -- angry, even.

"No. I don't care what you have to say." She said, staring up at him as defiantly as she could, but her chin was trembling. "I saw everything with my own eyes-"

"You didn't see everything, Vera, you didn't!" Adam fired back. He was on the verge of sobbing himself. "And we were getting somewhere! This whole night I've been thinking about you!"

She shook her head slightly. "No you haven't. If you were, you wouldn't have ignored me when you walked in. You wouldn't have been under Cher and kissing her, and you wouldn't be out here making all these dumbass excuses like you are right now!"

"Oh, that's low." Adam's voice was suddenly eerily low and calm, yet exasperated. "You don't get to have a say in my feelings. I've been going crazy these last couple of weeks because of you, and I know you have too. I can see it!"

He was right.

And even after everything that had went down that evening, all of her feelings for him still remained, and that twisted a pin in her heart. With so much emotion surging up, the brunette began to back away, her eyes flashing.