forsake the bitter times

• —————— ᯽—————— •

chapter forty: forsake the bitter times

{a/n:

they're healing.

commenting and voting are greatly appreciated!! enjoy :)}

• —————— ᯽—————— •

GUY WAS RIGHT.

Guy was right and Adam hated it. He wasn't trying hard enough, and fifteen minutes ago, he wasn't even trying at all. The boy paces around his room anxiously while nibbling on his thumb nail, eyes flickering towards his door every couple of seconds.

He has two options here; go after her or stay and sulk. Obviously, one outweighed the other and he knew what one he 'should' choose.

After a moment, the blonde blows a sharp sigh and takes long, determined strides towards his door, opening it quickly. He rushes down the hallway but slows down once a few feet away from her room. He doesn't want his footsteps sounding desperate.

He leans against the doorframe and lets his knuckles hover in front of the door for a second, suddenly stiff as a statue as he tries to think of what he's going to say.

Finally, biting his lower lip, he gently knocks.

"Come in,"

Vera's putting some clothes into a dresser drawer when he opens it. She looks over at him, expression twitching into -- what Adam sees as disquietude but really is concern -- and he tries not to be hurt by it.

"Hey," He says, sounding nauseous and it makes Vera worried.

"Uh, hi?" She blinks, letting her hand rest on the edge of the drawer, "Is something wrong?"

The boy shakes his head. "Nope."

Vera tilts her head to the side, squinting her eyes as she tries to see through him. "Then...?" She doesn't find the need to say anything else.

"I just wanted to check in -- well, apologize for shooing you out of my room." His self-correction comes with a glint of hurt in his eyes and slight furrow to his brows. He clears his throat, "That's all."

But, he doesn't leave.

"Oh," Her face visibly softens and she's grinning. "Adam, you don't need to apologize. I overstepped, it's okay... honestly, I'm the one who should be apologizing."

Adam presses his body off the frame and takes a couple steps into her room, crossing his arms and cupping his elbows as he didn't know what to do with them. "But, I shouldn't have snapped at you like that."

Vera's whole face widens with amusement. "Snapped -- oh, you're funny." Her short laugh catches Adam off guard and he doesn't know if he should chuckle along or not.

"You were having a rough time and politely asked me to go, so I did. You don't need to feel bad." She shuts the dresser drawer and walks over to her bed, taking a seat on the edge.

He's tempted to join beside her, but stays hovering by the door. He shrugs, "It's hard for me not to."

"Then that just means you're tender-hearted."