pushing limits

• —————— ᯽—————— •

chapter thirty: pushing limits

{a/n:

*read the a/n at the end of this chapter*

thank you all so much for the support. i mean c'mon, almost 30k reads!? that's crazy. thank you all so so much <3

hope you enjoy! voting and commenting are greatly appreciated:))

• —————— ᯽—————— •

ADAM BANKS WAS EXHAUSTED. His thighs throbbed and his lungs ached. Sweat beads trickled down the sides of his face as he huffed on the gym bench; eyes tightly shut as he tried to suppress a painful headache.

'Again.' He told himself. 'Again, just a few more times. You came all this way, you can't stop now.'

The boy blew out a quick breath before cautiously rising to his feet. He felt nauseous, and everything seemed to spin with each step he took towards the plate rack. He slid off a couple weights and calculated them to 275 pounds.

Adam tried everything to ignore the dizziness after numerous attempts of trying to relieve it; triple the ibuprofen dose and 5 liters of water were no match. His body was telling him to stop pushing it. His limits had already been reached a couple hours ago, but he was too blinded. The soreness and pain was 'worth' it.

Anything to get noticed, right?

After placing the weights on the bar, he laid flat on the bench. His calloused hands wrapped around the cold metal, gripping tightly as he inhaled.

Adam immediately felt his muscles strain as he began to lift. His teeth clenched as he pushed through the pain, disregarding the warning signs his body was sending him, determined to prove his strength.

He refused to give up.

Blurred spots began to cloud his vision. He could feel his eyes watering, and his arms began trembling. He had enough strength in him to give one final push, racking the bar with a grunt before everything went black.

When the blonde regained consciousness six minutes later, he found himself slumped over a chair; his walkman, now smashed, was resting beside him alongside his water bottle, which seemed to have been knocked over in the accident.

The staff had rushed to his aid then, and medical assistance was already checking his vitals with some hand-held tools.

Concerned faces of the few people in the gym surrounded him, one of them being Guy. "You couldn't have waited a minute?" He sighed. "You know it's stupid to bench without someone spotting you, man."

A slurred, "Going all the way back to the dorms is longer than a minute..." made its way past Adam's lips. He was still adjusting to his current state when he noticed the nurse wrapping his left hand.

His eyebrows pinched together. "What's that for?"

"Your hand." She replied nonchalant.

"No, I can see that." He mumbled. "I mean, what happened to it? It feels fine-" When he tried to flex it, the throbbing burn told him otherwise. He hissed through his teeth.