i had a prodigious time ruining everything

• —————— ᯽—————— •

chapter forty-eight: i had a prodigious time ruining everything

{a/n: sorry for disappearing again. i didn't mean to take off that much time but everything's just been so busy lol. but i'm back (for now) :)

puuhleassee don't be a silent reader!! commenting and voting are greatly appreciated. enjoy }
—————— ᯽—————— •

THE TIMING IS COMICAL, REALLY. Some hours ago in the early December morning, he had the girl of his dreams entwined within his arms, gentle whispers interspersing between them with their lips touching every few moments. Now — somehow, Cher Bellucci had exchanged spots with the brunette in the quiet hallways of the main building. Adam smiling from ear to ear as he held onto her.

It had been quiet between them, no words had yet been exchanged since the initial message she'd delivered through a sealed envelope. Adam, skeptical considering their past, refused to open the letter, honestly afraid if it contained an invitation as an escort to some formal ball or fancy dinner.

But, she'd had enough with his lame attempts at escaping that she took it upon herself to slice open the letter. Adam looked away as she unfolded it, acting as if she was just wasting his time. His attention was finally caught when he noticed an official 'NHL' stamp at the bottom of the printed email and he — quite literally— ripped it from her hands. (The corner was torn off and Cher was left with a paper-cut between the web of her thumb and index fingers.)

And after a barrage of questions and her dryly stating that everything was true, even as he continuously accused her of this just being another way of screwing with him, "I swear on my life, Banks, it's real." he finally pulled her into a tight hug, blinded by pure excitement.

"Oh my God..." was all he could say, and he repeated it a few times out of utter astonishment.

This was it.

Throughout the entirety of his adolescent years, this is what he's been working for.

Cher has to push him away, releasing her arms from the uncomfortable twist she'd found them in against his chest. In that moment, Adam gains a sense of clarity on what he'd just done and spits out a quiet apology, his eyes fleeting down to the letter.

"Nothing is dyed in the wool yet as you're missing a few requirements," the girl states, raking aa hand through her hair, "but as soon as you figure those things out, it's a very strong possibility that this is going to get real. Congratulations, Banks."

The blonde looks back up at her through his eyelashes. A toothy grin can't help but sprawl across his mouth, and he directs a grateful nod her way.

Then, his expression contorts momentarily, face scrunching, "What're the exigencies I'm needing?"

"My father said the league commissioner who originally sent this shot you another email with an attachment stating everything. As far as I know, it's basically just a loose application and a copy of some contract."

"He sent me it?"

"Yeah, go check your inbox."

Adam's smile returns as he nods ardently. "Okay,"