drunk words are sober thoughts

• —————— ᯽—————— •

chapter nineteen: drunk words are sober thoughts

{a/n: this chapter is well...

enjoy!}

• —————— ᯽—————— •

"HEY. IS THIS VERA?"

"Yes?"

"Okay. Uh, my name's Charlie — one of Adam's good friends. Listen, he's having a little bit of trouble at this party and I was wondering if there's any way you could come get him?"

"What-?"

"I'll send you the address."

𝑉𝐸𝑅𝐴 𝑆𝐼𝑁𝐶𝐿𝐴𝐼𝑅

      THAT'S HOW VERA FOUND herself groggily climbing into her car at almost two in the morning. Her hair was a mess, wearing a big, baggy shirt with nothing but underwear underneath. She didn't have any makeup on, and yet here she was — on the way to a preppy high school party to pick up none other than Adam Banks

He was apparently very intoxicated, which she found a bit surprising. He didn't seem like the type to let loose at parties, but what did she know?

The whole drive there was a blur — not just from
how tired she was, but how her mind was just swarming with anxiousness.

The last time she saw Adam replayed heavily in her head. When he held her tightly in his arms, the soft kiss they shared, but most importantly; how she fucking ran out on him.

It was a stupid thing to do, but she was giving him false hope of something that she knew couldn't happen.

Not for awhile, at least.

     The girl parked beside a curb that was a few yards away from the driveway of the address Charlie Conway had given her. It was your typical, snobbish kid mansion— given that it was on the streets of Edina.

Vera contemplated whether or not calling Adam's phone. She hoped Charlie and another friend could help bring him outside, but the chance of either of them picking up was unlikely.

The cool, night breeze whistled softly, combing through her hair as she unwillingly stepped out of her car. The sky was deep, clear blue and the moonlight reflected from the houses' windows.

She let herself in once she walked up the paved driveway. The vile scent of 'teenage party' didn't seem to disturb her.

Vera ignored the unwelcome looks coming from the guests. She simply strutted past them, being careful not to trip over any unconscious, intoxicated bodies that piled through the entryway.

Charlie had mentioned that they were all lounging in the basement while on the phone call. She knew that was where she could find Adam.

Vera walked up to a guest who looked seemingly nice. He was alone, back pressed against a wall with a red solo cup in his hand.