it's all in my mind

• —————— ᯽—————— •

chapter forty-one: it's all in my mind

{a/n:

guys i am back

tw- mentions of philip banks being a horrible dad

enjoy reading!! voting and commenting boost my motivation a ton :) }

• —————— ᯽—————— •

THE EARLY MORNING November air is crisp and biting, making Adam's breath form tiny clouds in front of him. He pulls his scarf snugly around his neck, trying to shield himself from the cold. Tinker Bell, with her wagging tail and playful spirit, joyfully leads the way through an icy side-walk. Her paws patter against the pavement, leaving imprints on the occasional patch of frost.

Adam has always loved taking his dog on walks, preferably in the early mornings. Being in a daze from waking up some minutes ago, alone with fresh thoughts. It was an odd comfort he yearned for, especially if he'd just gotten into it with his father the night before. (which was pretty common from the ages 12 to- well, the present.)

Though this would normally be considered his 'alone time', Adam had debated on asking Vera to come along. He told himself that he just wanted some company, but really — he wanted Vera.

But, he decided against it at the last minute when he was standing outside of her room with his first hovering in front of the door.

"Almost there, girl." He breathes out, smiling as he leans down to pat Tinker Bell's back. "You know the way."

She continues to pant happily as they approach their home.

A sense of unease washes over him when he steps foot onto their driveway. Through the living room window, he catches a glimpse of his mother sitting on the couch, her face etched with worry as she picks at her nails with her teeth. Concerned, Adam unclips his dog's leash from her collar and urges her to the front door as he quickens his own pace. He enters the warm embrace of his house, the scent of a butterscotch scented candle enveloping him.

His mother looks up, her eyes filled with a mixture of relief and sadness. Yet, she chooses to act as thought everything is normal by quickly stretching her lips into a small smile.

"Hi, honey." She watches as her son starts to take off his jacket. "How was your walk?"

"Cold." The boy answers, tone full of hesitation. He takes off his hat and ruffles a hand through his hair, then hangs it up.

He turns towards his mother, kicking off his shoes. "What are you doing up so early?"

She doesn't answer right away and he assumes she's thinking of an excuse, the silence broken only by the gentle sound of Tinker Bell's tail thumping against the floor.

Adam begins to worry when she sees his mother unresponsive and lost in a daze. He gulps nervously and slowly begins to approach her.

"What's going on?"

"Oh, huh?" She snaps her attention back, turning over to her son with an exaggerated smile. "It's nothing, sweetie! I'm just a little stressed out from all this Thanksgiving preparation. It's been years since we hosted and I just have so much to do-"