had to deal

• —————— ᯽—————— •

chapter twenty-three: had to deal

{a/n:

and so it begins... :,(

hope you all enjoy!}

• —————— ᯽—————— •

IT WAS THE FIRST morning of October. The weather had changed overnight, when a cool breeze brought autumn leaves and a dreary grey sky along with it.
Although the forecast presumed the pallor weather would wither away within a couple hours,  it didn't feel that way for Adam Banks.

It felt like his stomach was going to stay in a deep pit for eternity.

A cold gust of artificial air blew past his body as he stepped foot through the doors of the practice arena. His hockey bag was slung over his shoulder, and he readjusted it as he walked to the front desk to check in.

Up to that point, he knew something was off.

He thanked the secretary and turned around.

In the main lobby, most-- if not all the coaches, were seated around the lounge area. Each of them were flipping through a packet, which presumably contained the lists of teams.

Some of them glanced at the boy upon feeling the boys' gaze on them. As they realized it was Adam Banks, they looked back at their papers before taking one last stare at the blonde.

A few of them turned and gave each other knowing looks, some whispering.

They seemed confused.
He was confused, and now worried.

It made him feel nauseous.

Today was the day Westbrook Academy would announce their 1998-1999 rosters.

There would be five separate hockey teams; the D3, D2, and D1 college sponsored teams, and the two high school teams. (Varsity and JV)
   For students who didn't get placed, which was quite a large number, were put into a section where they'd just work on improving their skills. If they were lucky, they'd be offered a spot as a sub for whichever team was closest to their age group. (As students are able to attend the academy as early as a freshmen in highschool, all the way through a senior in college.)

Not to be prideful or anything, but Adam was certain he'd aquire a position on Varsity— at least. There was talk about him being selected for one of the division teams, but he thought it was unlikely considering how many college students went to the academy— but still, there was a chance.

Or so he thought. With the way these coaches were looking, it didn't seem probable.

Suddenly feeling self-conscious, Adam trudged away from the entryway. He went around the corner and let out a breath.

That was weird.

It took him a moment to collect himself, but then he was off to the locker room.

"Gosh, about damn time!" Julie was the first to notice him as he walked in.
She was already half-way dressed into her uniform.

Everyone else in the room paused with getting suited up and turned towards his direction.

His friends' lips pulled up into a relieved grin.

Adam's eyebrows furrowed together.
"What?" He asked, confused with the look everyone was giving him.