and now i have to act like i can't read your mind

• —————— ᯽—————— •

chapter forty-five: and now i have to act like i can't read your mind

tw (s) - sassy adam. (kinda rude tbh but he just got his heartbroken so i forgive him anyways)
- sexual themes !!

{a/n: listening to boygenius while writing. that says enough
puuhleassee don't be a silent reader!! commenting and voting are greatly appreciated. enjoy :)}

• —————— ᯽—————— •

ADAM HAD DECIDED TO make the drive back to Westbrook a day early for 'idiosyncratic' reasons. At least, that's what he tells his mother. Really, it's because he couldn't bare another day in the same house as her.

I basically poured my entire heart out and all I get is 'sorry' and an entire night of self-loathing.

Needless to say, Adam didn't wake up feeling the best that Friday morning.

He wasn't just upset — no — he was furious.

With himself... with Vera.

It wasn't fair.

He knew that, but the feelings were intractable.

The boy couldn't control them, which was very unusual because Adam grew up learning how to control his feelings so he wouldn't end up hurt, like he is right now.

Gracelyn's sitting on the kitchen countertop with a cold rag pressed to her forehead when Adam comes in for breakfast. She's leaning against the cabinet behind her, looking just as miserable as he's feeling.

It's not like he looks good either. With the dark eyebags, disheveled hair and lack of sleep evident his is gray-ish pale face.

His sister almost laughs when she sees him. "Did Uncle Theo give you some of his 'special juice,' as well?"

"No," The blonde replies impassively.

Not even a sign of cracking a small grin as he walks to the pantry and takes out a chocolste Bio X protein bar.

Gracelyn watches, concerned, as he unwraps the bar and takes a small bite. She peels the rag off of her forehead and fastens it to the edge of the sink. "So," she starts up again, sliding off the counter, "did someone run over you or something? You look horrible."

"No,"

His sister groans. It aggravates her headache, "C'mon, Ads, you're killing me here!"

"I'm fine, Gracie." his tone is still dry, "Even if there was something wrong it's not like it would be any your business."

The girl scoffs, folding her arms across her chest. "Did you shove a stick up your ass before you came down here or something?"

Adam shoots her a glare as he takes out a royal blue plastic cup he'd gotten at Disneyland a couple years ago for his birthday. Everyone knew it was his by the vinyl gold lettering of his name, which had somewhat been chipped off over the years. It's always been his favorite.