'be there or don't'

• —————— ᯽—————— •

chapter thirty-eight: 'be there or don't'

{a/n:

i know i promised a few updates through fall break but i had so much unexpected plans so... thank you all for being patient!

please, please, please leave some comments and vote! it really helps with my motivation.

love you all! enjoy!!}

• —————— ᯽—————— •

   GUY GERMAINE LOVES FISHING. If he wasn't practicing, hanging out with Connie, or doing school work — you best believe he's sitting on a dock or a boat somewhere with a big, fat grin on his face.

Over the duration of their friendship, Guy has tried multiple times to get Adam to tag along. But of course, the blonde always found a way to get out of it -- usually by using the 'my dad said I can't' excuse. Guy took the hint after awhile. Although he was kind of upset, he understood that not everyone, especially rich kids, enjoys fishing like he does.

But when the boy woke up early that morning, he decided Adam just needed a day of clarity... preferably on a dock at Lake Minnetonka.

"Isn't this great?" Guy sighs happily after casting out his line. He looks at Adam smiling.

The blonde attempts to grin back, but his lips remain tight and flat. He readjusts the pole in his hands, "Uh, yeah. It's nice."

In all honesty, Adam couldn't take his friend seriously with the bulky bucket hat Guy had on. It was army green colored and adorned with numerous pins and patches that correlated with fishing. He almost wants to make a joke about 'feeling out of place' owning to the matching cargo vest, but he doesn't.

"There's nothing like it."

Guy tries to hide the shocked look that wipes across his face but fails. "You've fished before?"

Adam chuckles. "Dude, this is Minnesota. Everyone fishes."

"But, I thought-" Guy pauses, eyebrows scrunching together, "really? You?"

"Yeah. My grandfather and I would go every weekend up until I was 12 and he passed. After that, it was just Alex, Aiden, and I every once in awhile."

Guy had reeled in his line while intently listening to Adam talk. He was baffled. "Alex and Aiden? When?"

Adam sucked in through teeth as he thought back. He tilted his head to the side for a second, "Uh, I think we stopped hanging out around the end of sophomore year?" He nodded then, and started talking to himself, "Yeah, because that's when Aiden moved..."

"Damn." His friend stabbed his hook into a chunk of bait. "I didn't know you still hung out with them then."

The blonde grasped his water bottle from beside him and took a sip, nodding. "I made up with them like the same day we got back from the Goodwill Games. That's part of the reason Charlie hated me up into freshman year."

"Why am I just hearing about all this?" Guy's face was still morphed with confusion and Adam almost laughed.

Adam shrugs, returning his attention back to the lake in front of him. "You never asked."