GOF 13

When we went down to breakfast on the morning of the thirtieth of October, we found that the Great Hall had been decorated overnight. Enormous silk banners hung from the walls, each of them representing a Hogwarts House: red with a gold lion for Gryffindor, blue with a bronze eagle for Ravenclaw, yellow with a black badger for Hufflepuff, and green with a silver serpent for Slytherin. Behind the teachers' table, the largest banner of all bore the Hogwarts coat of arms: lion, eagle, badger, and snake united around a large letter H. Harry, Ron, and Hermione sat down beside me, Fred and George at the Gryffindor table since I'd opened up to the twins I was a lot happier and they continued to shield me from any stares and they were indeed pranking anyone who mentioned me or looked my way. We were sitting apart from everyone else and conversing in low voices. 

"It's a bummer, all right," George was saying gloomily to Fred and me. "But if he won't talk to us in person, we'll have to send him the letter after all. Or we'll stuff it into his hand. He can't avoid us forever." 

"Who's avoiding you?" Ron said, sitting down next to Fred who was opposite me and George. whilst Harry sat next to me. 

"Wish you would," Fred said, looking irritated at the interruption. 

 "What's a bummer?" Ron asked George. 

 "Having a nosy git like you for a brother," George said. 

 "You three got any ideas on the Triwizard Tournament yet?" Harry asked thankfully changing the subject. "Thought any more about trying to enter?" 

"I asked McGonagall how the champions are chosen but she wasn't telling," George said bitterly. "She just told me to shut up and get on with transfiguring my raccoon."

"Which he failed at anyway" I joke making him glare at me.

"Wonder what the tasks are going to be?" Ron said thoughtfully. "You know, I bet we could do them, Harry. We've done dangerous stuff before" 

"Not in front of a panel of judges, you haven't," Fred said. "McGonagall says the champions get awarded points according to how well they've done the tasks."

"Who are the judges?" Harry asked.

"Well, the Heads of the participating schools are always on the panel," Hermione said and everyone looked around at her, rather surprised "because all three of them were injured during the Tournament of 1792, when a cockatrice the champions were supposed to be catching went on the rampage." She noticed us all looking at her and said, with her usual air of impatience that nobody else had read all the books she had, "It's all in Hogwarts, A History. Though, of course, that book's not entirely reliable. A Revised History of Hogwarts would be a more accurate title. Or A Highly Biased and Selective History of Hogwarts, Which Glosses Over the Nastier Aspects of the School." 

"What are you on about?" Ron said. though Harry looked as if he knew what was coming. 

"House-elves!" said Hermione, her eyes flashing. "Not once, in over a thousand pages, does Hogwarts, A History mention that we are all colluding in the oppression of a hundred slaves!" Harry shook his head and applied himself to his scrambled eggs. 

"Do you reckon if I buy one of her stupid badges she'll shut up about it" I whisper to Harry.

"Nope seems to just make her worse" 

"You do realize that your sheets are changed, your fires lit, your classrooms cleaned, and your food cooked by a group of magical creatures who are unpaid and enslaved?" she kept saying fiercely. Ron rolled his eyes at the ceiling, which was flooding them all in autumn sunlight, and Fred became extremely interested in his bacon both twins had refused to buy a S.P.E.W. badge. George, however, leaned in toward Hermione.