OOTP 4

I sat on my bed as Fred and George apparated in laying on the bed either side of me. I lay back between them.

"Morning you two. What brings you here this time of the morning"  

"Well Mum says get up, breakfast is in the kitchen and then she needs us all in the drawing room, there are loads more doxies than she thought and she's found a nest of dead puffskeins under the sofa."

"Wonderful, looking forward to it" I say rolling my eyes.

"If we've got to deal with the torture so have you my dear Aurora" Fred says with a smirk.

"Whatever you say Frederick" he glares at me "don't call me Aurora then" I say sticking my tongue out at him like a small child. Half an hour later we all enter the drawing room, its a long, high-ceilinged room on the first floor with olive-green walls covered in dirty tapestries. The carpet exhaled little clouds of dust every time someone put their foot on it and the long, moss-green velvet curtains were buzzing as though swarming with invisible bees. It was around these that Mrs. Weasley and everyone else grouped, all of us looking rather peculiar, as we had tied cloths over our noses and mouths. Each of us was also holding a large bottle of black liquid with a nozzle at the end.

"Cover your faces and take a spray," Mrs. Weasley said to Harry and Ron the moment she saw them, pointing to two more bottles of black liquid standing on a spindle-legged table. "It's Doxycide. I've never seen an infestation this bad  what that house-elf's been doing for the last ten years" Hermione's face was half concealed by a tea towel but I distinctly saw her throw a reproachful look at Mrs. Weasley at these words.

"Kreacher's really old, he probably couldn't manage"

"You'd be surprised what Kreacher can manage when he wants to, Hermione," Pad's said as he  entered the room "Anyway this writing desk" He bent over to examine the locked cabinet which was shaking slightly. "Well, Molly, I'm pretty sure this is a boggart," Pad's said peering through the keyhole "but perhaps we ought to let Mad-Eye have a shifty at it before we let it out knowing my mother it could be something much worse."

"Right you are, Sirius," Mrs. Weasley said. A loud, clanging bell sounded from downstairs, followed at once by the cacophony of screams and wails that had been triggered the previous night by Tonks knocking over the umbrella stand.  

"I keep telling them not to ring the doorbell!" Pad's said exasperatedly, hurrying back out of the room. We heard him thundering down the stairs as Mrs. Black's screeches echoed up through the house once more: 

"Stains of dishonour, filthy half-breeds, blood traitors, children of filth" 

"Close the door, please, Harry," Mrs. Weasley said. Harry took as much time as he dared to close the drawing room door. Pad's had obviously managed to shut the curtains over his mother's portrait because she had stopped screaming. Mrs. Weasley was bending over to check the page on doxies in Gilderoy Lockhart's Guide to Household Pests, which was lying open on the sofa. "Right, you lot, you need to be careful, because doxies bite and their teeth are poisonous. I've got a bottle of antidote here, but I'd rather nobody needed it." She straightened up, positioned herself squarely in front of the curtains, and beckoned us all forward. "When I say the word, start spraying immediately" she said. "They'll come flying out at us, I expect, but it says on the sprays one good squirt will paralyze them. When they're immobilized, just throw them in this bucket." She stepped carefully out of their line of fire and raised her own spray. "All right squirt!" We had been spraying only a few seconds when a fully grown doxy came soaring out of a fold in the material, shiny beetlelike wings whirring, tiny needle-sharp teeth bared, its fairylike body covered with thick black hair and its four tiny fists clenched with fury. Harry managed to catch it full in the face with a blast of Doxycide; it froze in mid air and fell, with a surprisingly loud thunk, onto the worn carpet below. Harry picked it up and threw it in the bucket. "Fred, what are you doing?" Mrs. Weasley said sharply. "Spray that at once and throw it away!"  Fred was holding a struggling doxy between his forefinger and thumb.