GOF 23

I leave the castle at 10 with Harry telling the twins I'll find them later. The weather was milder than it had been all year, and by the time we arrived in Hogsmeade Harry had removed his jacket, I decided to keep mine on. We head to Gladrags Wizardwear first so Harry can buy a present for Dobby, selecting the most lurid socks we could find, including a pair patterned with flashing gold and silver stars, and another that screamed loudly when they became too smelly. Then, at half past eleven, we made our way up the High Street to the three broomsticksand find Moony and Pad's already waiting. I walk straight over to Moony who opens his arms instantly wrapping them around me before sending Harry a look. Harry just shrugs before Moony let's me go so Pad's can give me a hug as well before we head in. Harry and Pad's grab the drinks as me and Moony find a table.

"You okay wolf" I hear the concern in his voice but don't look up knowing my face would be a giveaway.

"Yeah I'm fine" I answer as I take a seat him sitting next to me.

"What's on your mind"

"Nothing" I say as Harry and Pad's walk over with 4 butterbeers.

"This conversation isn't done" Moony says low enough so only I hear.

"So what're you doing here, Sirius?" Harry asked.

"Fulfilling my duty as godfather. I want to be on the spot. Your last letter well, let's just say things are getting fishier. I've been keeping an eye on the paper and by the looks of things, I'm not the only one who's getting worried." He handed Harry two copies of the Daily Prophet. The first bore the headline Mystery Illness of Bartemius Crouch, the second, Ministry Witch Still Missing Minister of Magic Now Personally Involved. Harry scanned the story about Crouch.

"They're making it sound like he's dying," Harry said slowly. "But he can't be that ill if he managed to get up here"

"Percy Weasley is Crouch's personal assistant," I said looking up at them "He says Crouch is suffering from overwork." Harry gives me a weird look "what I like Percy he's nice in his own way" I shrug.

"Mind you, he did look ill, last time I saw him up close," Harry said slowly, still reading the story. "The night my name came out of the goblet"

"Maybe he can't look after himself after sacking Winky" I mutter but they heard me. Pad's looked interested at this.

"Crouch sacked his house-elf?"

"Yeah, at the Quidditch World Cup," Harry said, and he launched into the story of the Dark Mark's appearance, and Winky being found with his wand clutched in her hand, and Mr. Crouch's fury.

"Let me get this straight," Pad's said after a while, taking a sip of butterbeer."You first saw the elf in the Top Box. She was saving Crouch a seat, right?"

"Right,"

"But Crouch didn't turn up for the match?"

"No," Harry said. "I think he said he'd been too busy."

"Harry, did you check your pockets for your wand after you'd left the Top Box?"

"Erm" Harry thought hard. "No," he said finally. "I didn't need to use it before we got in the forest. And then I put my hand in my pocket, and all that was in there were my Omnioculars." He stared at Pad's. "Are you saying whoever conjured the Mark stole my wand in the Top Box?"

"It's possible," Pad's said whilst looking at me with concern at how quiet I was being.

" I don't think Winky stole that wand" I finally spoke "She was terrified of the height she could barely move"

"The elf wasn't the only one in that box," Pad's said, his brow furrowed. "Who else was sitting behind you?"

"Loads of people," Harry said. "Some Bulgarian ministers... Cornelius Fudge... the Malfoys... "

"Anyone else?"

"No one,"

"Yes, there was, there was Ludo Bagman," I reminded him.

"Oh yeah "

"I don't know anything about Bagman except that he used to be Beater for the Wimbourne Wasps," Pad's said. "What's he like?"

"He's okay," said Harry. "He keeps offering to help me with the Triwizard Tournament."

"Does he, now?" Pad's said, frowning more deeply. "I wonder why he'd do that?"

"Says he's taken a liking to me," Harry said.