DH 12

I noticed Harry hurtle around a corner to where I was with Fred and a small knot of students, including Lee and Hannah Abbott, standing beside empty plinth, whose statue had concealed a secret passageway. Our wands were drawn and we were listening at the concealed hole.

"Nice night for it!" Fred shouted as the castle quaked again, and Harry sprinted by, elated and terrified in equal measure.

"I'm going to go check on George" I say as I run away from the others towards where George was with another group. I narrowly missed a spell sent my way. As I jump3d to the ground.

"What do we have here then" I'd recognise that voice.

"Bellatrix"

"Clever girl Potter, I've missed you" she cackles before raising her wand. "Crucio" I manage to put up a shield ignoring the blood bow dripping down my face as I block her spells. "I forgot about that little skill of yours" Bellatrix disappeared suddenly as Fred and Percy came running towards us.

"Rory" Fred said pulling me up and quickly wiping my face to check the bleeding "it's stopped" I nod as we take off again. We start duelling with a couple of death eaters as Harry, Ron, and Hermione run forward to help us. Jets of light flew in every direction and the man dueling Percy backed off, fast. Then his hood slipped and they saw a high forehead and streaked hair.

"Hello, Minister!" bellowed Percy, sending a neat jinx straight at Thicknesse, who dropped his wand and clawed at the front of his robes, apparently in awful discomfort. "Did I mention I'm resigning?"

"You're joking, Perce!" shouted Fred as the Death Eater he was battling collapsed under the weight of three separate Stunning Spells. Thicknesse had fallen to the ground with tiny spikes erupting all over him; he seemed to be turning into some form of sea urchin. Fred looked at Percy with glee. "You actually are joking, Perce. I don't think I've heard you joke since you were" The air exploded. We had been all been grouped together, me, Harry, Ron, Hermione, Fred, and Percy, the two Death Eaters at our feet, one Stunned, the other Transfigured; and in that fragment
of a moment, when danger seemed temporarily at bay, the world was rent apart, I felt myself flying through the air, and all I could do was shield my head in my arms.

The screams and yells of the others was all I could hear. And then the world resolved itself into pain and semidarkness. I started to get to my feet as i noticed Fred.

"No" I screamed falling to my knees beside my best friend.

"No-no-no!" Percy was shouting. "No! Fred! No!" And Percy was shaking Fred as me and Ron were kneeling beside them. Fred's eyes stared without seeing, the ghost of his last laugh still etched upon his face. The world felt like it had ended, so why had the battle not ceased, the castle fallen silent in horror, and every combatant laid down their arms? My mind was spinning out of control, unable to grasp the impossibility, because Fred Weasley could not be dead. And then a body fell past the hole blown into the side of the school and curses flew in at them from the darkness, hitting the wall behind our heads as I gripped onto my best friend, refusing to believe he was gone.

"Get down!" Harry shouted, as more curses flew through the night. He grabbed me and Ron grabbed Hermione and pulled us
to the floor, but Percy lay across Fred's body, shielding it from further harm, and when Harry shouted "Percy, come on, we've got to move!" he shook his head. "Percy!" Tear tracks streaking the grime coating Ron's face as he seized his elder brother's shoulders and pulled, but Percy would not budge.

"Percy, you can't do anything for him! We're going to" Hermione screamed as a monstrous spider the size of a small car was trying to climb through the huge hole in the wall. One of Aragog's descendants had joined the fight. Ron and Harry shouted together; their spells collided and the monster was blown backward, its legs jerking horribly, and vanished into the darkness.

"It brought friends!" Harry called to us, glancing over the edge of the castle through the hole in the wall the curses had
blasted. More giant spiders were climbing the side of the building, liberated from the Forbidden Forest, into which the Death Eaters must have penetrated. Harry fired Stunning Spells down upon them, knocking the lead monster into its fellows, so that they rolled back down the building and out of sight. "Let's move, NOW!"
Pushing Hermione ahead of him with Ron, Harry stooped to seize Fred's body under the armpit. Percy, realizing what Harry
was trying to do, stopped clinging to the body and helped, together, crouching low to avoid the curses flying at them from the
grounds, they hauled Fred out of the way.

"Here," said Harry, and they placed him in a niche where a suit of armor had stood earlier. I looked at Fred's body that was now well hidden. The pain I felt in my chest made me want to give up as Percy grabbed me and pulled me away as we both went to help the others fight. Spells were flying everywhere as I started throwing Death Eaters, not caring about the blood I was losing from using my powers. The only thing I could feel was the pain and anger and I was using that to fight. I ran outside to find all the giants and some deatheaters advancing. I screamed as I released a massive amount of energy throwing them all backwards as I fell to my knees, holding them all back. Suddenly they stopped trying to advance as I dropped my shield. Voldemort's voice reverberated from the walls and floor.

"You have fought," said the high, cold voice, "valiantly. Lord Voldemort knows how to value bravery. Yet you have sustained heavy losses. If you continue to resist me, you will all die, one by one. I do not wish this to happen. Every drop of magical blood spilled is a loss and a waste. Lord Voldemort is merciful. I command my forces to retreat
immediately. You have one hour. Dispose of your dead with dignity. Treat your injured.
I speak now, Harry Potter, directly to you. You have permitted your friends to die for you rather than face me yourself. I shall
wait for one hour in the Forbidden Forest. If, at the end of that hour, you have not come to me, have not given yourself up, then
battle recommences. This time, I shall enter the fray myself, Harry Potter, and I shall find you, and I shall punish every last man, woman, and child who has tried to conceal you from me. One hour."

I made my way to the Great Hall with a few of the others. The House tables were gone and the room was crowded. The survivors stood in groups, their arms around each other's necks. The injured were being treated upon the raised platform by Madam Pomfrey and a group of helpers. Firenze was amongst the injured his flank poured blood and he shook where he lay, unable to stand. The dead lay in a row in the middle of the Hall. I couldn't see Fred's body, because his family surrounded him. The first person I saw was George, kneeling at his head; Mrs. Weasley was lying across Fred's chest, her body shaking. Mr. Weasley stroking her hair while tears cascaded down his cheeks. Charlies eyes met mine as I walked closer. Charlie stepped towards me, using his sleeve to wipe my face just like Fred had. I break down as he wraps his arms around me.

"Nova you're okay, Percy said you ran off"
George looked up as he noticed Charlie move. I release Charlie and walk over to my best friend.

"Georgie" I whisper as he throws himself at me, both of us in tears as he clings to me "I'm so sorry" I whisper as I tighten my grip on him, both of us on our knees. I look up as more body's are brought in and notice as two body's are placed next to Fred. Moony and Tonks. "No" I scream as I pull away from George and go over to Moony. "No No no" I rest my head on his chest as I cling to him "Moony no" I whisper as someone wraps their arms around me pulling me to them. I turn to see Charlie as I wrap my arms around him and break down. "They're gone Charlie, all of them"

"I know Nova, I know"