Chapter 4

September 11 2021, Dallas

A KNOCK ON THE DOOR STARTLED ALLIAH. She hastened to flush the toilet, clambering to her feet.

"I'm almost done- I'm just washing my hands!" Alliah yelled through the door, turning the tap on and grabbing handful of water, cleansing her mouth with it.

"It's Harry. I thought I heard you throwing up, is everything alright?"

Stupid, dumb, idiotic, moronic- there was an endless line of words Alliah would use to describe herself.

She should've known better than to do something like this in an arena filled with a crew of hundreds of people. Someone was going to catch her. There was no avoiding it.

But Harry was the last person Alliah wanted near her when her mind spiraled to its darkest depth. A bright light would only be dimmed in the darkest of caverns.

"It's- it's nothing, just a little bit of nerves, that's all," Alliah lied. He didn't have to worry about her. "I'll be fine."

"You sure? Do you want some water? Aspirin? Anything?"

Alliah took a deep breath. Harry's kindness was too much for her right now. She didn't want this, she didn't deserve this. "I'll be fine. Out in a minute, just- just need to breathe."

"Okay, I'll wait out here. You call me if you need anything- anything at all," Harry spoke through the door. Alliah could almost imagine the frown on his face, the worry in his eyes.

"O-Okay! Thanks."

Alliah needed to breathe. Calm herself down, stop the shaking of her hands, stop her leg from jumping up and down, and make up a good lie so she wouldn't get caught.

If Harry tells Anya, she'll know. She'll figure it out- Alliah took a deep breath, trying to block out her internal dialogue.

One last inhale, and as she exhaled, Alliah opened the door and stepped out.

Harry got to his feet. He'd been sitting on the floor, leaning against the wall opposite the bathroom.

He hadn't lied when he said he'd be waiting right outside.

Alliah's heart swelled at the sweet action, only to deflate as guilt washed over her. "Sorry, I had a little nausea, and- well, it wasn't pretty." She scratched the back of her neck nervously.

Harry nodded. "I get it. It happens. You want something? Water? Medicine? Mouthwash?"

Alliah laughed, her heart feeling a little lighter as he joked around. "Rude. Actually, I'd quite like Medicine."

Harry glanced around. "Okay, uh- what medicine? Aspirin or Ibuprofen? Or what helps with nausea? Should I use google maybe-"

"Harry," Alliah spoke, and he immediately shut up, turning to look her in the eyes. A smile tugged at her lips as she said, "The best medicine is Medicine live."

Realization dawned on Harry's face and he burst into laughter. "You- You want me to sing Medicine live?"

Alliah shrugged non-chalantly. "What can I say? Medicine's a damn good song."