Chapter 55

August 25 2022, New York City

new tweet from alliah mendoza!

    alliah 🌹| alliahmendoza
    only the young has been in the billboard top 10 since it's release, and it is currently #2. i can't believe this is real, thank you to everyone who is streaming 🫶
    11:22 a.m. • 25 August 2022 • twitter for iPhone
    |
     addie 🌹| alliahmendoza
    to celebrate this incredible occasion, i'm happy to announce that all my earnings from only the young will be going to charities dedicated to giving women equal rights and abortion rights.
    11:23 a.m. • 25 August 2022 • twitter for iPhone

new tweet from billboard charts!

    billboard | billboardchartsupdates
    @alliahmendoza has just entered the #1 spot on the billboard hot 100 top 10. this is her sixth single to achieve this.
     11:30 a.m. • 25 August 2022 • twitter for desktop
    |
    billboard | billboardchartsupdates
    her previous singles to reach #1 are: Prom Queen, Sports, What A Time (ft. Niall Horan), Memories and People Watching.
    11:30 a.m. • 25 August 2022 • twitter for desktop

"I JUST FEEL LIKE A FAILURE," Alliah sniffled, blowing her nose.

She'd gotten a cold yesterday, and even though her sore throat had faded in time before her SNL performance, her voice was all cracked and you could hear the congestion.

Alliah had to pause several times during the performance, move away from the microphone and clear her throat.

She'd been chugging bottles of water for the last two days, and Alliah had done everything in her power to make sure she was in top shape for this performance. But it wasn't enough.

Not to mention that she'd made sure to stay as far away from Harry as possible, because he had a performance the next day and couldn't afford to get sick as well.

So he'd gotten a hotel room while Alliah stayed all day in the Airbnb they'd rented, body aching and head pounding the entire day.

She hadn't eaten much yesterday, just toast with jam and some noodle soup Harry had sent her for lunch that she didn't eat until dinner because her throat hurt too much.

"This was supposed to be a chance to prove myself," Alliah explained, wiping the tears away. "Instead, I just fucked it all up. I did."

"You didn't," Anya said, sitting on the couch in front of her.

"Everyone put in so much work to make sure this went perfect, I mean, Jesus, the hard work for this costume alone?" Alliah said, gesturing towards the purple dress covered in green jewels. "And I repaid the favor by what, sounding shit and clearing my throat every 5 seconds?"

"Alliah, it's not your fault you got sick," Anya insisted. "Everyone gets sick, it's a part of life and you did everything in your power to make sure you recovered quickly and got back on your feet. You just had the bad luck of it being at the worst possible moment."

Alliah shook her head, unable to stop the guilt weighing on her shoulders. "I'm sorry."

Anya scanned her face. "Sorry for what?"

"Not being able to believe you," Alliah mumbled, running a hand through her hair. "For screwing up. For being the most impossible person on earth."

"None of that is true... except you are pretty impossible."

Alliah grabbed a pillow and threw it at Anya, who shrieked and covered her face with her hands. "Shut up."

Anya grabbed a pillow and sent it back towards Alliah. Before they knew it, the two fully grown women started having a pillow fight in the middle of an SNL dressing room.

Neither of them won.

a/n: a little bit of a filler chapter, but it's fine. i give you guys daily updates, so

i feel a lot better. my throat doesn't hurt anymore, i just have a little bit of a cough and a runny nose, but i feel so much better.

today is aotv day. i am def not ready to cry my eyes out.

anyways, remember to vote and comment because i crave validation. love ya <3