[INTERVIEW - DRAFTS]

January 20 2022, Los Angeles

ALLIAH MENDOZA ON LOVE, TOURING AND BURNOUT

WRITTEN BY: ALEXA GRANT

Alliah Mendoza is an artist on the rise, with an open heart, sharp pen and large ambition. With 3 albums released, collaborations with artists like Echosmith, a compilation of poems and 2 world tours completed, her resumé is filled with diversity and achievements.

Recently, she joined Harry Styles on tour, opening for him during his North America tour in 2021. While simultaneously releasing several new singles and announcing her brand-new album Superache.

Superache, a story of tragedy, heartbreak, longing and friendship, will be released February 1st.

For now, you can listen to her singles Jigsaw and People Watching available on all streaming platforms, with critics drooling over her smart penmanship and catchy melodies.

In a hotel in Los Angeles, Alliah sat, hair tied back, skin refreshed and with simple but vibrant makeup she does herself.

As we began the interview, Alliah cracked her knuckles, chuckling and apologizing while admitting it's a nervous habit.

Alexa Grant: Do you usually get nervous at interviews?

Alliah Mendoza: I do, I've gotten a lot better at it recently, mostly because I've been doing quite a few interviews, but yeah, I get pretty nervous.

AG: What do you think helps you when you get nervous?

AM: I usually try to breathe and remind myself that there's nothing to be nervous about. And if that doesn't work, I call a friend to talk to and distract myself.

AG: Now, you've mentioned you have close bonds with your friends. Do you think they're an important part of your life?

AM: Oh, definitely. My friends are everything to me- they're my family. And I love them with my whole heart, especially because they've helped me feel like anywhere I go is home, as long as I have them.

AG: Is that hard? Living so far away from family and the place you grew up?

AM: It is. And it's really tricky, because I feel homesick when I'm here in LA, and I miss Mexico, but when I'm in Mexico, I'm homesick for LA. And Mexico just doesn't feel as much like home as it used to, which is something that has given me several identity crisises (is that even a word?)- But I-it's like my heart is split in between two places, and that just keeps getting harder and harder to navigate.

AG: I can't imagine going through that. Is there anyone who helps you throughout that? Any special someone? Boyfriend, girlfriend...?

AM: *Laughs* I don't really have a boyfriend, and I'm not looking. Despite the constant rumors, I have not been dating three different men at the same time. I haven't had a relationship in a pretty long time.

AG: Recently, rumors have been prominent that you were dating Harry Styles, Niall Horan, Tom Holland and Rudy Pankow. Does it get frustrating to see constant rumors about your love life?

AM: Oh god, yeah. So tiring, but after a while, once you start seeing the really bizarre and wild headlines, it gets kind of funny. The idea of me dating three- or I guess, apparently four men is hilarious to me, simply because I didn't date any of them. Well, no- that's a lie. I did date Tom in the past, but that's done and over. I'm friends with all four men you just mentioned, and that's all there is to say. And honestly, whenever things get tough, I kind of just put on Blank Space, and it's a nice way to remind myself not to take it seriously.