Chapter 38

March 14 2022, Omaha

"YOU'RE LEAVING TOMORROW?" Alliah repeated, a deep frown evident on her face. She chewed on the inside of her lip.

Harry nodded, looking down at his lap, where his hands fiddled with Alliah's. He had barely even spared her a glance since they'd sat down on the couch.

"You're leaving tomorrow for St. Louis, and I can't go with you..." Harry confessed, guilt written all over his face. "'M sorry. I couldn't break my promise but I can't stay."

Alliah could hear the heartbreak in his voice, and her emotions flipped like a switch. She tugged her hands away from his, and he flinched as if he'd been burned. Did he think she was mad at him.

"Oh no, baby," Alliah breathed, grabbing his face in her hands, caressing his cheeks with her thumbs. "I'm not mad at you. I'm not upset with you, okay? We knew this was going to happen, and sure, it'll suck, but we've both got careers and I'm so happy and so proud that you're going out and releasing a new album."

Harry tilted his head, scanning her face. "Y-you're not upset?"

Alliah shook her head firmly. "No." She pressed soft, quick kiss to his lips. "Not you. Never you."

"But, I-I'm leaving. I'll be working all the time and I won't be able to stick around."

"It's not like we're breaking up or anything, and I'm going to be working as well. I think I'd be a bit of a hypocrite if I got mad at you for working."

She tried her best to reassure him, but there was still doubt evident on his face, like her words were a puzzle he couldn't quite put together.

"You're seriously not mad?"

"Seriously," Alliah confirmed.

And then something clicked in her mind.

Slowly, she uttered, "Harry.... Why did you think I would be mad?"

Harry refused to look at her, eyes focused on the wall beside them.

"Harry," Alliah repeated, softer. She leaned forward, using her hands on his face to force him to look at her. "Please look at me."

Harry hesitantly met her gaze, eyes swimming in tears. "I... They always got mad."

Alliah's lips parted in surprise, and she felt a wave of white-hot rage burning through her veins. Anyone who ever, ever treated Harry wrong would suffer the consequences of her anger.

But Harry didn't need Alliah to be angry right now. She kept it contained, just long enough to help him and comfort him.

"Hey, hey, look at me." After a moment of indecision, he looked into her eyes. "Harry, you are doing nothing wrong, okay? You deserve to put yourself first and work hard to get what you want. You should never ever be ashamed of working for what you love. If you're happy and doing what you love, no one can tell you you're not succesful or that you're wrong."

"I want you to hear me loud and clear when I tell you I'm not upset at you for working. You have so much talent, and so much potential, and it would be the biggest tragedy in the world to throw it away because there was this one selfish person. If this is what you love doing, then go out and do it and under no circumstances let anyone tell you you're wrong for doing it. You've done amazing things and I know you're destined to be even greater. Go out into the world, do your thing, and if you ever need a moment to breathe, a moment of peace, I'll be here waiting for you. Always. Promise."

Harry blinked back tears. "You give the best pep talks, have I ever told you that?"

Alliah grinned. "No, but I never pass on the opportunity to hear how amazing I am."

"You're more than amazing, you're perfect," Harry mumbled, pulling her in and stealing a kiss.

But he wasn't stealing them.

Because they were all his.

Every last one.

harrystylesupdates posted
on instagram

harrystylesupdates postedon instagram

liked by alliahmupdates and others

harrystylesupdates harry styles at alliah mendoza's concert tonight in omaha.

view all comments

username of all places, omaha???
2h reply

username we stan a supportive boyfriend 🫶
2h reply

username HE WAS BREATHING THE SAME AIR AS ME AND I DIDN'T KNOW???
2h reply

username alliah dedicated best friend to 'someone special in the crowd' and my bet's on harry qknfhsj
2h reply

username an album on love instead of heartbreak next, maybe, alliah???
2h reply
-> alliahmendoza idk, man. lowkey kinda like making songs you can cry to
-> username cloud 9 exists, we know you can write them 😭

a/n: short one, i guess :)

women's day today.

to all the women reading this right now, whether you're white, black, asian, mixed, trans, bi, lesbian, or anything, just know i love you regardless of who you are, what you are, where you're from or who you love.

know you're not alone, every woman who stands beside you is your sister, and they love you eternally. you're safe with me 💜