018

—chapter eighteen | The Vampires of Venice

EVE FELT AWKWARD. Amy's fiancee was in the room after the very awkward telling to Rory Williams that his future wife tried to kiss another man. Eve sadly and uncomfortably had to see that. He popped out of the cake at Rory's Bachelor Party.. worst plan ever. Eve didn't want to imagine the look on Rory's face when he told him.

Eve had apologized to Rory for them, even though they hadn't asked her to. They didn't even know that she knew. She felt so bad for him. The Doctor had told the two he was sending them somewhere for a date. "Anywhere you want, any time you want. One condition - it has to be amazing. The Moulin Rouge in 1890! The first Olympic Games! Think of it as a wedding present, because, frankly, it's either this or tokens."

Eve stood beside Rory, glancing every so often to make sure he was okay. "It's a lot to take in, isn't it? Tiny box, huge room inside. What's that about? Let me explain."

"It's another dimension." Rory answered making Eve smile at him.

"It's basically another dimen... what?" Eve laughed quietly at the doctor's confused face.

"After Prisoner Zero, I've been reading up on all the latest scientific theories. FTL travel, parallel universes." Rory told him as the Doctor slowly walked down the stairs he had run up a moment ago.

"I like the bit when someone says, 'It's bigger on the inside!'" The Doctor was right in Rory's face now. "I always look forward to that." Eve coughed to catch the Doctor's attention.

"So, this date. I'm kind of done with running down corridors. What do you think, Rory?" Amy asked. Eve looked at the redhead. She hadn't even apologized yet and that made Eve think, was she ever going to apologize?

"How about somewhere... romantic?" The Doctor pulled a lever causing everyone to grab onto something. The four walked out of the Tardis and into the streets of Venice. "Venice! Venezia! La Serenissima! Impossible city. Preposterous city! Founded by refugees running from Attila the Hun."

Eve looked around in wonder. The whole place was beautiful history. She couldn't help but be amazed. "It was just a collection of wooden huts in the middle of the marsh, but became one of the most powerful cities in the world. Constantly being invaded, constantly flooding... Constantly just-"

"Beautiful!" Eve finished with a smile as she looked around. The Doctor looked at her with a smile.

"Yeah." They shared a glance. "Oh, you gotta love Venice. And so many people did. Byron, Napoleon, Casanova." The Doctor gasped looking at his watch. "Oooh, that reminds me. 1580. That's all right. Casanova doesn't get bor for 145 years. Don't want to run into him. I owe him a chicken."

"How do you owe him a chicken?" Eve laughed while she muttered to the Doctor who nodded. Rory asked a similar question at the same time.

"Long story. We had a bet."

A man suddenly went in front of the group, stopping them. "Whoa, Whoa, Woah, Woah, Woah! Papers, if you please. Proof of residency, current bill of medical inspection."

The Doctor held up the psychic paper. "There you go, fella." The man snatched it from his hand. "All to your satisfaction, I think you'll find."

"I am so sorry, Your Holiness. I didn't realize." He bowed.

"No worries. You were just doing your job. Sorry, what exactly is your job?" The Doctor asked.

"Checking for aliens." Eve glanced at the Doctor. "Visitors from foreign lands what might bring the plague with them."

"Oh, that's nice! See where you bring me? The plague!" Amy hit the Doctor.

"Don't worry, viscountess." Eve watched as Rory looked confused and shocked. "No, we're under quarantine here, no one comes in. no one goes out, and all because of the grace and wisdom of our patron, Signora Rosanna Calvierri."

"How interesting." The Doctor started while Eve looked confused.

"Wait, I thought the plague died out years ago." She wondered glancing at the Doctor who nodded in agreement.

"Well, yes, your highness but not out there." The man bowed slightly before pointing out to the sea. Eve's eyes widened. "No, Signora Calvierri has seen it with her own eyes. Streets are piled high with bodies, she said."

"Did she, now?" The Doctor said before the group began to pass him. Rory took hold of the Psychic paper.

"According to this, I am your eunuch!" Amy turned around to face her fiancee as the Doctor dragged Eve around with a smile.

"Oh, yeah, I'll explain later." The two cheerful people, ahead of the soon-to-be-married couple, stopped when they saw a group of women standing. They were different from the rest but Eve couldn't pinpoint what it was.

Eve watched as a man went rushing over, looking under the veils the women wore over their faces. He was searching for someone. All of a sudden the man fell to the ground as one of them pushed him.. with a hiss. The Doctor ran off dragging Eve along. 

"Where are we going?" Eve asked only for no response as they found the man that searched for someone named Isabella.

"Who were those girls?" The Doctor asked. The man turned around.

"I thought everyone knew about the Calvierri school." He said.

"Our first day here. Parents do all sorts of things to get their children into good schools. They move house, they change religion." The Doctor paused as a stranger went past. "So, why are you trying to get her out?"

"Something happens in there." The man explained. "Something magical, something evil. My own daughter didn't recognize me. And the girl who pushed me away, her face... like an animal."

The Doctor put his arm around the man's shoulders as he held Eve's hand. He glanced between the two. "I think it's time I met this Signora Calvierri."

__