043

Chapter Forty-three | The Big Bang

—THE DOCTOR WAS GOING TO DIE. Eve, Amy, Rory, and the Doctor himself had all seen it. But the Doctor they were on the roof with at that moment knew something, Eve could tell. It was the morning to Eve's surprise.

"What, it's morning already? How did that happen?" Amy asked as they all walked on the roof. 

"History is shrinking. Is anybody listening to me?" The Doctor said before jumping onto something. "Universe is collapsing. We don't have much time left."

"What are you doing?" Rory asked.

"Looking for the Tardis."

"But the Tardis exploded."

"Okay, then. I'm looking for an exploding Tardis." The Doctor told them.

"I don't understand." Amy said as she watched the Doctor run around. "So, the Tardis blew up and took the universe with it. Why would it do that? How?"

"Good question for another day. But for now - total event collapse means that every star in the universe never happened. Not one of them ever shone. So, if all the stars that ever were are gone, then what is that?" The Doctor pointed towards what looked like the sun but truly wasn't. "Like I said, I'm looking for an exploding Tardis."

"But that's the sun." Rory said.

"Is it? Here's the noise that sun is making right now." The thrumming of the Tardis echoed. "That's my Tardis burning up. That's what's been keeping the Earth warm."

"Doctor, there's something else. There's a voice." Rory told him.

"I can't hear anything." Amy and Eve looked at him confused.

"Trust the plastic." The Doctor adjusted the Sonic until the familiar voice of River repeated.

"I'm sorry, my dears."

"Doctor, that's River. How can she be up there?" Amy asked as Eve stepped closer to the Doctor.

"It must be like a recording or something."

"No, it's not. The emergency protocols - the Tardis has seeled off the control room and put her into a time loop to save her. She is right at the heart of the explosion." The Doctor informed them.

"Now, I need to get River." The Doctor said. "You three, stay put."

"Uh, Doctor?" Amy called making the Doctor turn to her.

"What?" He noticed Amy pointing at his wrist. The vortex Manipulator was off his wrist and Eve was gone. "Oh, Eve!" The Doctor sighed.

Eve leaned against the door of the inside of the Tardis, the Vortex Manipulator on her wrist. River came running down the steps. "Hello, Dear, I'm home!" She smiled.

River looked at her watch before looking back up at her. "And what sort of time do you call this?" Eve shrugged before holding her hand out for River to grab. 

She did and the two returned to Earth. The Doctor looked at Eve. The woman held her hands up in surrender. "Look, I'm sorry-"

"No time. I'll talk to you later." He held out his hand. "Hand it over." Eve sighed before handing him the Vortex Manipulator back.

"Amy!" River called. "And the Plastic Centurion?" 

"Oh, right, yeah." Eve nodded. "It's all right, he's on our side."

"Really? I dated a Nestene duplicate once - swappable head, it did keep things fresh. Right then, I have questions. But number one is this -" River looked at the Doctor. "What in the name of sanity have you got on your head?"