073

Chapter seventy-three | Day of the Moon

—THE THREE SAT IN THE BLACK CAR AS IT DROVE INTO GRAYSTARK HALL ORPHANAGE. The three were all wearing black suits, acting all professional as the radio began to play. "In just a few days mankind will set foot on the moon for the first time. Today the President reaffirmed America's commitment..." Canton flicked off the radio before turning to look at the two.

Amy was in the passenger seat, Eve in the back. Canton looked at them both. "Ready." Both girl's nodded. "Check?"

They all looked down at their palms. Not glowing. Completely normal. "Clear." They all spoke.

"Right, you two, let's go." Eve smiled lightly before exiting the car and into the pouring rain. Amy soon followed then so did Canton. They came to the door, knocking quickly before it opened.

"Hello." The man who opened the door looked at the three.

"FBI. You must be Dr. Renfrew. Can we come in?" Canton asked as he showed the man his badge.

"The children are asleep." Dr. Renfrew told them, pointing inside.

"We'll be as quiet as we can." Eve smiled at him.

"Is there a problem?" He asked them all.

"It's about a missing child." Canton explained to the man.

"What are you...?" He looked toward Amy before looking at them all. "Yes, yes, come in, please." The man walked in the door, letting the trio walk inside. "This way. Please excuse the writing."

Eve looked up on the wall where letters in big, red, bold writing spelled out, 'GET OUT LEAVE NOW'. Her eyebrows furrowed as she, and the others, followed the man upstairs. "It keeps happening. I-I try to clean it up." He leaned forward to wipe it as Amy and Canton got to the same steps.

"It's the kids, yeah? They do that?" Amy asked.

"Yes. The children. It must be, yes." He spoke as he leaned up to wipe it, only to reveal a similar message written in black on his wrist. "Anyway, my office is this way."

The trio followed him up the steps. "We nearly didn't come to this place. I understood Graystark Hall was closed in '67." Canton said as they walked toward him.

"That's the plan, yes." Dr Renfrew agreed.

"The plan?" Amy questioned.

"Not long now."

"You..." Eve hesitated with confusion written on her features. "...you do know that it's 1969, right?"

"No, no. We close in '67. That's the plan, yes." He paused before going to continue to walk.

"You misunderstood her, sir." Canton spoke. "It's 1969 now."

"Why are you saying that?" He questioned confused. "Of course, it isn't."

"July." Canton spoke before sharing a look with the two women.

"My office is this way, this way." The man practically rushed up the steps. Canton paused and looked at the two women.

"I'll check upstairs." Amy told them both.

"I'll go with her." Eve nodded. "Just in case, you know?"

"Be careful." Canton warned.

"See you in a bit." Eve smiled at him before turning on her flashlight and walking up the stairs with Amy. Their footsteps echoed as they traveled down the flight of stairs, their feet dragging them down a hallway. Eve glanced around with curiosity as they entered a room.