064

Chapter Sixty-four| The Impossible Astronaut

—EVE SAT STARING UP AT THE SKY WITH A SMILE. They were sat having a picnic all together. "Salut!" The others all cheered as they clinked their glasses together. It was nice. "So when are we going to 1969?" Rory asked as Eve looked back toward them all.

"And since when do you drink wine?" Amy asked the Doctor as he looked into the bottle of wine.

"I'm 1,103 - I must have drunk it some time." The Doctor said before taking a sip from the bottle before spitting it all out. "Oh, wine's horrid! I thought it would taste more like the gums." Eve chuckled.

"Wait, 1,103? Weren't you 908 when we last saw you?" Eve asked as she picked up her glass of wine, taking a sip before making a disgusted face. "Oh, you're right, it's disgusting. I don't know how you guys like this stuff."

 "I know, it's horrible!" The Doctor agreed, looking at Eve who sat next to him. 

"Who's that?" Amy asked, looking up at a hill.

"Who's who?" Rory questioned making Amy look at him with confusion.

"Sorry, what?" She asked.

"What did you see? You said you saw someone." Rory told his wife as Eve placed her head on the Doctor's shoulder. 

"No, I didn't." Amy denied.

"Ah." The Doctor smiled as he pointed toward the moon. "The moon, look at it! Of course, you lot did more than look, didn't you? Big silvery thing in the sky, you couldn't resist it." Eve smiled. "Quite right."

"The moon landing was in '69." Rory pointed out making Eve shoot up with a smile. The Doctor's smile faltered slightly as she did so.

"Is that where we're off to? The moon landing?" She looked at him.

"Oh, a lot more happens in '69 than anyone remembers. Human beings... I thought I'd never get done saving you." The Doctor explained as the familiar sound of a car appeared behind them. Two figures stepped out of the car which made the Doctor stand up. He waved.

The man waved back while the person on the other side saluted. Their was a strange look on the Doctor's face. Eve moved her eyes away from the car and looked at the Doctor, placing her glass down. "Doctor, what's wrong?" She stood.

"Who're they?" Amy questioned as they all stood. 

"Oh, my god!" River gasped making all turn to the water.

Near the shore was an... astronaut. The brunette tilted her head in confusion. It just stood there for a minute before beginning to walk forward. "You all need to stay back." The Doctor informed them. "Whatever happens now, you do not interfere. Clear?" 

He took a few steps forward but Eve caught up to him, grabbing his arm. "Doctor, what's wrong? What aren't you telling m- us?"

He sighed, turning around. "Evie, there's something I need to tell you."

"What Doctor? What is it?" 

"I know." He muttered. Eve looked at him confused. "I know everything and no matter what happened when I found out.. I-" He didn't finish his sentence he only sighed, kissing her on the forehead before walking off.

He walked right toward the astronaut. "That's an astronaut. That's an Apollo astronaut in the lake." Rory told them all as they all watched. Eve felt the familiar feeling that something bad was about to happen.

"What do you think's happening down there?" Eve asked as the feeling got worse. "I'm sorry but does anyone else..." She turned to look at the three behind her and noticed the person at the car was doing the same thing as her. Touching the back of their neck. "Feel that..?"

"Evie, Sweetie..." River nodded toward the interaction happening in front of them. Eve turned around just in time to see and hear a loud gunshot. She gasped. 

"Doctor!" Amy began to run forward as Eve stood in shock. Rory and River ran after the redhead stopping her. The brunette watched as the Doctor fell to his knees, looking at his hands before he was shot once again. "Doctor!"

The Doctor looked over at them all, saying words that they couldn't hear as he held out his arms. Soon, he had been shot once again. During his regeneration cycle... Eve rushed forward, passing the three as they began to run to him too. 

It was if everything was blocked out to Eve, she crouched next to the Doctor holding him tightly as tears rushed down her face. She heard gunfire but didn't look up. "Doctor..." She muttered as she felt a hand being placed on her shoulder. "He can't be... he can't die. He-He can't."

"Sweetie, come here..." River told Eve as the brunette burst out crying as River held her. "Whatever that was, it killed him in the middle of his regeneration cycle. His..." She hesitated to speak. "body was already dead. He didn't make it to the next one." Eve gripped onto River's jacket.

"He-he could be a clone... a duplicate or something! He just can't be..."

"I believe I can save you some time." The man who had driven in the car appeared, taking off his hat. "That most certainly is the Doctor, and he is most certainly dead. He said you'd need this." He placed a large can of gasoline beside him. 

"Gasoline?" Rory questioned.

"A time lord's body is a miracle. Even a dead one. There are whole empires out there who'd rip this world apart just for one cell." River slowly let go of Eve who quickly went back to the Doctor's side. "We can't just leave him here. Or anywhere."

"Wake up, please..." Eve muttered as she put her head on the Doctor's chest. "Please..."

"Go on, wake up, you stupid bloody idiot!" Amy cried. "What do we do, Rory?"

"We're his friends," River spoke up. "We do what the Doctor's friends always do." She picked up the Gasoline. "As we're told." 

"There's a boat." Rory looked over, spotting a boat near where they stood. "If we're going to do this... let's do it properly." They all looked at Eve who hadn't stopped crying. The brunette slowly raised her head, nodding in agreement.

__

The Doctor is dead *shock*