020

—chapter twenty | The Vampires of Venice

—"SO, BASICALLY, BOTH OF OUR PARENTS ARE DEAD FROM GETTING THE PLAGUE." Rory explained to Signora Calvierri who sat watching. The boy who stood beside her moved his eyes between Amy and Eve. "I'm a gondola...driver...so... money's a bit tight... so having my sisters go to your school for special people would be brilliant. Cheers."

"Have we met?" The boy stepped forward looking at Amy.

"I've just got one of those faces."

"I wasn't talking to you."

"They've got the same faces... which is because they're my sisters!"

"Carlo, explain yourself." Signora Calvierri called. "Why have you brought me this imbecile?"

"Signora, they have references from the King of Sweden." Signora Calvierri turned to the three who stood in front of her in shock.

"What?! Let me see." She held out her hand letting Rory hand over the Psychic paper. "Well, now I see what got my steward so excited. What say you, Francesco? Do you like them?"

"Oh, I do, Mother." Francesco circled the two girls with a strange smile. Eve watched him uncomfortably. "I do."

"Then we would be delighted to accept them. Say goodbye to your sisters." Signora Calvierri smiled before Rory turned to the two.

"Um...um..." Rory muttered as he was taken away by the steward.

"Tell..." Eve paused, hesitating. "My fiance... we'll see you both soon, all right?"

"We'll be fine." Amy smiled at Rory. He shouted for them as the door slammed shut. 

The steward led the two passed two girls who stared at them. Eve looked down, hiding her face behind her hair. Oh, how she wished she had her mask on right now. Another was staring down at them.

Then another two as they walked up the stairs. They entered a large room where all the girls were, including the ones who saw Eve and the Doctor. "There are clothes on the beds. Get changed and wait here."

Eve gulped as she felt the girls all standing behind them. "Blimey. This is private education, then?" Amy questioned. Eve walked around and sat on the bed closest to the remaining girl as all the others left.

"Hello. I'm Eve, she's Amy. What's your name?" Eve asked.

"Isabella."

Eve looked behind her as the door slammed before turning to the girl. "Listen, Isabella, we will get you out of here and to your father again but you must tell us what is happening here. What is this place and what are they doing?"

"They, um... they come at night." Isabella told them. "They gather around my bed and they take me to a room...with this green light and a chair with... with straps, as if for a surgeon."

"What happens in there?" Amy asked.

Isabella shook her head. "I wake up here. And the sunlight burns my skin like candle wax." The bell began to toll as Eve placed a comforting hand on Isabella's.

"Eve, we need to get changed." Amy told her making Eve nod. A few moments later, they were walking with a candle to lead their way. As they made their way down the staircase, there were distant cries and groans.

They got to the trapdoor that Guido had told them about, opening it before going to walk away. Amy shrieked as the steward appeared making her drop the lamp.

--

"Control yourself!" The steward told them as he dragged them to the green-lit room that Isabella had told them of.