Cԋαρƚҽɾ 54:

March 20, 1996

"How's everything going in there now?" Dalvin asked into the phone, taking time out of his day to speak to his brother, like he usually does.

You would think him being in here for months would start to drive him crazy, but he's been keeping his head up. He's gotten visits from his family and friends, and really that's all he needed here and there. Donald still doesn't trust a soul in here, but it's a few guys that hold conversations with him, even follow him around sometimes like some type of entourage. Normally that would bother him a bit, but the dudes in here really have been looking out for him. Not all, but some.

"So far so good, I got me a lil Job while in this bitch too." Donald told him, looking around at the other inmates.

Instead of staying in his cell or watching tv like most of the inmates, Devante took it upon himself to start working. He became one of the maintenance guys around the prison, and from what he heard, it'll possibly do him a favor in the end. He would get money, and it would help shorten his time in this hell hole.

"A job? What they got you doing in there?" His brother asked, chuckling on the other end.

De sighed "I'm a maintenance man now. I rather do this though, than being in the damn kitchen with the rest of the ladies." He joked "I could've easily just been sitting on my ass like the rest of them in here, but they said this could earn me a lil money, so I said fuck it."

"Shit that's wassup, I guess $1 an hour ain't too bad for y'all asses in there." Dalvin said and De only nodded in agreement "I heard that can shorten y'all time too, you got any news about that?"

Donald then remembered why he called him up in the first place "Aw Yeah. I was calling to tell you that I may be eligible for parole in 5 years. I talked to my lawyer earlier and he broke it down to me."

Dalvin eyes grew wide "For real? Five years? That's better than staying in there for two decades, you should be okay with the idea of walking outta there in 2001 at least."

Devante could've showed more gratitude about basically being released in five years, but he was ready to leave now. He still couldn't believe that the judge really gave him 21 years, it's not like he committed a damn mass murder. A slap on the wrist wouldn't have been enough though, he showed the courts that twice already. Being sentenced was the only thing to hold his ass down, at that time.

"I mean it sounds good, but I ain't trying to spend a year in here man, let alone two."

"I know De, but it ain't like you got no other options. Unless your ass plan on escaping on some el chapo shit."

Donald smacked lips at his brother corny joke, shaking his head slowly "Shit it's one more option..." He trailed off.

Dalvin raised a brow, as if his brother could see him "And that is?"

"I asked my lawyer if it was possible to reopen our trial, and see if Ranae would be okay with a settlement, in return for me being free."