Cԋαρƚҽɾ 59: Fαɾҽɯҽʅʅ.

June 1, 2005
9 Years Later.

Ranae was very content with how things were going in her life right now. She graduated college and got her degree in psychology, choosing the career she always wanted. Being that she now mastered the studies of the mind, it helped her put into place the trauma she had to deal with back then. It helped her grow. Everyone is different and have characteristics about themselves, making them behave a certain way. Like abandonment issues, obsessive and possessive behaviors, complex and anxious attachments. Ranae herself never really had those issues, but she once loved someone who did, and being in a cycle like that caused them both to suffer.

Her first ever relationship wasn't a good one, and had she been aware of all the issues Devante had bottled up, yet acted out because of, she would've never stayed as long as she did. At that time, she was young and naive, and just figured that kind of cycle was normal. The deeper she got into the relationship, looking back on it, she noticed how some of his strange ways would rub off on her. Ranae admitted to herself, she grew an unhealthy attachment towards De, even after everything he put her through. She would try to defend his character and their relationship, though it was beyond repair.

Some would call that Stockholm syndrome, and even though the condition and definition would make her skin crawl, it was her experience once upon a time.

Till this day, she's grateful that she was able to move past that part of her life, and get herself and emotions back in order. Revisiting those memories and seeing where she is today, she's happy she chose the career that she did. Most of her patients she talks with at work, are young and going through the same things she did. So in a way, she was the best person to see for help.

Outside of work though, Ranae seemed to be living the good life. Her and Jarvis were happily married, and with him bringing in money from engineering and Ranae being a psychologist, the two were on top of things financially. Thankfully. They weren't rich at all, and living in New York would seem as if you needed to be. The couple were able to keep their heads above water though, all while enjoying the nice materialistic things in life. They were able to move them and their family into a nice three bedroom apartment in Brooklyn, not being too far away from their family and friends.

In 1999, Ranae finally gave birth to their second child. Their son, Reginald. Who Ranae calls little Reggie. Motherhood was a loving but tough, life long responsibility. Whoever said it takes a village to raise a child was right, let alone two. From getting them up for school, cleaning and cooking for them, and trying to raise them to be decent, it was a lot on a mother's plate.

Both of their children had the most biggest personalities, and kids that were so loud and reckless under one roof was a challenge. They would remind Ranae of her and her brother when they were younger, fighting like animals one minute then loving and playing with each other the next.

Nonetheless though, she wouldn't trade her little family in for anything.

"Mama, what you cooking tonight?" Her daughter, Jamiyah asked into the phone.

Ranae chuckled at the same question she would ask everyday "Some baked chicken and lots of vegetables." She gave a petty smirk.

"Ughhh." The little girl groaned at the sound of that "What if I ask daddy to order us some pizza?"