Cԋαρƚҽɾ 56: Gҽƚ Oɳ Uρ.

May 24, 1996

Though walking into a courtroom was still nerve wrecking, Donald preferred this than the small cell at the prison. At least he knew he would be getting out of this really soon. He didn't know how much more he could thank Ranae for actually being open to the retrial, but whatever she wanted out of him, she could have. If she really wanted to, she could've kept him rotting behind bars as he deserved, but Devante was grateful that she didn't.

Walking in with his lawyer, he glanced over and saw her, sitting on the other side of the courtroom with her parents and Jarvis. With the way things are going now, Devante was actually happy to see that he woken up from his coma, and was here by Ranae side to support her decision. De would've never said this years ago, but he's actually a nice dude. One that would always look out for her.

Looking to the right, he saw his family in the stands too, along with Cedric and Joel. Even Trina showed up. Before all of this, he would just look at Trina as easy pussy for him, just someone to sneak around with. Now he's noticing how genuine she is about liking him, for the nine months he's been in prison, she made sure to pay him a visit whenever she could.

He loved the consistency.

Trina could've disappeared after learning about all the bullshit De had going on, but she decided to stick around for him. Not only because they have a child together, but because she actually felt that Donald could change from all of this. It's crazy to say that they actually grew a lot close over the past months, whether it was long phone calls, Donald writing her letters, or Trina sending pictures of her and the baby.

Donald was just happy he had some type of support system.

"Court is now in session." They all heard the judge announce.

While the lawyers and judge discussed everything , Devante would sneak a glare over at Ranae here and there, without anybody noticing. She didn't look mad or anything, just sitting there waiting for this to be over with. De couldn't believe this is the first time they're in the same room together, after six months. The last time he saw her was when she came to pay him a visit back in November, and because of that, it caused issues for her and Jarvis.

Over the months though, things were starting to go back to normal, thankfully.

"Mr. Degrate, you requested and guaranteed a settlement for Ranae Stewart." The judge caught his attention "Do you have any money in your possession?"

"Yes, your honor." He answered, knowing it wouldn't take much to hand over cash to Ranae. While locked up, he kept his money in a safe place that only Dalvin knew of.

"Ms. Stewart, are you one hundred percent sure about the settlement, that Donald Degrate has requested?"

If she wasn't sure about her decision, she would've said it over the phone last month, and put all of this to rest "Yes, sir." Ranae said with certainty.

"That's means once we reach this settlement, Donald will be guaranteed a release date and freed by the state. No parole or probation. You will receive your settlement money, and this entire case will be closed. For good." He told her just to make sure she understood what will take place "Are you on board will this decision?"

"Yes, your honor." Ranae answered loud and clear, while her mother rubbed her back.

Her parents would like it better if Donald were to stay where he was, but this wasn't their decision to make. Ranae is grown and could do as she please, if she felt comfortable enough about going with this alternative, then there was nothing they could do. They just prayed for the best, after today.