Chapter 44

"Food."

A soft voice called. Who was that? What was happening? Sophie was dragged out of her daze. It had been days since she saw her friends. Days since she ate or drank. Despite this she still scramble away from the door when a cloaked member stepped in. Grady was fast asleep next to her. She didn't wake him but she stayed alert. The member seemed to recognize her fear and gently set a tray down on the floor before stepping back slowly. Who is this? He seemed male by the sound of his voice.

She Flinched whenever he approached, even though he stepped slowly. Nobody else was this... slow. All the other members had been rough with her, not caring how she felt. She was just their tool, their weapon. But this man seemed to be different... he seemed to care.

"Who are you?" She asked quietly, her voice still raspy with fear. He gave a kind chuckle and sat on the cold floor, about 10 feet away from her, "That's not important. I came to make sure you two were okay sense nobody else seems to care enough."

"Why do you care?" Sophie asked more confidently.

"Why wouldent I-- Never mind. I understand that the members here are absolute jerks. What have they done to you?" He asked sadly. He seemed so sincere. She felt a strange trust fill her as she talked to him. She wanted him to stay. "Umm... I'm not ready to relive it. Sorry." She said with a sad smile.

He nodded, "I understand." He said. he slid the tray a little closer to her, "Its okay. I promise I wont hurt you." He said gently.

"Why? Everybody else here wants to use me... Why dont you?" She asked. He sighed, "Because I'm a prisoner just like you." He said. Okay yeah, she liked this guy. She stood and positioned Grady against the wall, walking towards him and the tray of food. He started scooting back but she reached her hand out, "No its okay. I trust you." She said with a smile. Wow. How long has it been sense shes smiled like this? he stopped and crossed his legs comfortably. She sat next to him, pulling the tray up to her. She grimaced, It looked a little to greasy, but it was all she had. She took a bite, and another, and another. Soon she finished her portion and saved the other half for Grady. She set the tray aside and looked at the new member, No... Prisoner. 

"So how long have you been here?" She asked.

"Ive been in their custody for a long time but i just got to this new hideout yesterday." He said.

"So why are you here? Any specific reason?"

"Yes... well sort of. I originally was here for information but after many many...." He trailed off, seeming distant. They tortured him to... "Anyway, after I gave in and told them what I knew, Well most of it, I was trained and threatened into the organization, Against my will... like you."

"Just without this huh?" She said, taping the silver circlet on her head. He laughed softly, "Yeah."

She laughed at his nervousness. Laughed. She actually... laughed. She hadn't felt this good in so long. Just this small display of kindness made her feel so amazing. Like she was wrapped in a cool silk blanket, soothing all her burning scars, cooling all the boiling loss, Bandaging the emotional stabs. She sighed contently. Grady stirred, "Whats got you laughing?" He asked sleepily. She smiled, "It was this guy, now its you." She said. He sat up, his hair tousled and sloppy. She started laughing again. She had never felt this light and safe. "Who's this?" Grady asked suspiciously. Sophie took a deep breath to stop her fit of giggles and picked up the tray, "He delivered us some food." She said, walking over and handing Grady the tray. He stood and stretched. Sophie reached up and smoothed his hair so it wasn't so funny looking. She laughed when Grady mussed it back up. He smiled mischievously and started eating. The man laughed at the display and taped his shoe. "So." Sophie started, "Whats your ability?" She asked.

"Sorry, I'd rather not say. But I can assure you I'm no where near as powerful as you miss 4 abilities." He said playfully, dogging the question. She scoffed, "You have been down here a long time, Its five now, plus interest." She said.

"Wow. Jeez thats a lot. Whats the 'Interest'?" He asked, putting air quotes around Interest. "I have enhanced abilities now after I took that awful pill." She said.

"Ah." He said with a nod, still seeming confused. Grady laughed, "That's what we all think every single day we're with her." He said as he finished his food. he gently set the tray on the floor and sat down next to the man.

"Hey!" Somebody called from outside the hall. Oh no. Were they in trouble? Sophie flinched at the sound of Alvar's voice as he got closer and put her back to the wall. Grady Scrambled off the floor and pressed himself next to Sophie. His eyes were darting around the room and he started shaking. Then she noticed, she was to. The man got up as well. He seemed to be keeping his cool but Sophie could see his hands trembling. Grady put on his brave face and clinched his fists. Alvar Pushed the door open and examined them all. "I see you got some food, eh?" He said. His gaze fell on the mystery man. "What the-- What do you think your doing!?" He asked, anger lacing through every one of his words.  

The man swallowed hard and stepped away from the door, "I was making sure they were okay."

"Without any type of permission huh?"

"Would you have let me!?" The man screamed back. Alvar froze, His expression murderous. "Your lucky Gisela and Fintan still need you because if they didn't I'd send you right back to--"

"Shut up!" He shouted.

Alvar smirked, "Oh so you haven't told them?" He asked, cocking his head. "Mr.--"

"Brenne! My name is Brenne." He said loudly.

Alvar smirked again, "Okay then Mr.'Brenne'. Do you have anything to share with the class." He said mockingly.

Brenne just shook his head.

Brenne. Was he a Pyrokinetic? No. They wouldent need another one and brenne meant Burn which could mean many things. But why would they need another Pyrokinetic? Or maybe it has a different meaning, Instead of meaning burn maybe it means, burned. Had he been scared by fire somehow? Maybe he just had bad experience with fire like she did and it was the first thing that came to mind.

Alvar scoffed, dragging her away from her thoughts and throwing her into a whole world of fear. The good news was, her anger was beating back her echo. Bad news, That didn't stop the overflow of terror. She had to get out of here. But how?...

"Why are you here?" She said angrily. Alvar smirked arrogantly, "I was coming to make sure this guy did his job." He said pointing to Brenne. "Sadly... he didn't!" He said before punching Brenne in the jaw. Brenne stumbled back with a grunt and doubled over when Alvar Kicked him in the gut.

"I'll play along with your little charade." Alvar said sinisterly to Brenne, "But if you slip up one more time... Secret spilled." He said.

Brenne nodded slightly and coughed.

Alvar sneered and turned his attention to Sophie and Grady. He locked eyes with Sophie and smirked, "Your coming with me birdie. Gethen and Gisela need you for their next step." He said. Sophie started backing up as he stepped forward. He laughed and grabbed her arm. Grady poised himself and Brenne looked ready to defend her as well but Alvar held up his other hand, "Unless you want her to get hurt i suggest you two stand down." He said. Grady's expression softened and Brenne's shoulders sagged sadly.

Alvar dragged her toward the door, Brenne and Grady following behind. Alvar stopped them and held out a finger, "Ah ah! You two get to stay here." He said tersely before throwing her through the doorway and slamming it shut behind them.

Ahhhh! A new day a new chapter! Thank you all so much for reading! I'm so glad you're all liking it! Happy reading Everyone!
Word Count: 1400

 ~@A_mesmer_246