Chapter 48

Keefe ducked Grady's swing and rolled under him, trying to run. "NO!" Sophie screamed but it was no use. fear buzzed through her mind like bees, stinging at her constantly. Alvar smirked at her reaction. Fintan yanked her back over and griped her hand so hard she thought her knuckles might pop. Grady punched again but managed to yell, "GET OUT OF HERE!"

"Okay so this wasn't really part of the plan!!" Keefe said, dogging Grady's next blow. "Really? We hadn't noticed." Fitz retorted sarcastically, jumping into the fray and swinging at Grady.

"Chill out! my gosh i almost got hit that time!" Keefe said to Grady. Grady glared at him. He looked like he wanted to punch Keefe without the help of Alvar at that moment.

"Not the time boys! Someone get Fintan off Sophie!" Biana yelled. She looked at Sophie with a worried expression but quickly turned back to the fight at hand. Gradys face was scrunched up with concentration. he was trying to stop Alvar's control. Her friends seemed to come out of a daze as the lunged for the other Neverseen members. Biana tackled Vespera to the ground but she quickly countered and pulled out a knife. Stina and Linh went after Gisela who had started running around the perimeter with Alina.

Sophie's attention was brought back to where Grady was. He managed to get a punch on Keefe. A sickening pop was heard through the silver grass when Grady's fist connected with Keefe's jaw. Sophie struggled and squirmed, trying to get to them. Fintan wrenched her back again but then Marella jumped out from behind him and punched him in the nose. His grip loosened just enough for Sophie to twist out of his grip. She hit the ground running and went straight for Alvar. Before Gethen or Fintan could jump after her she raised her elbow and brought it down on Alvar's head, effectively knocking him to the ground. His concentration wavered just enough for Grady to stop and run for Sophie. His eyes locked with hers. she saw His anger and frustration but mostly she saw determination. Fitz pulled out a knife and was back on Alvar. Marella threw flames toward Gethen, who was trying to get to Sophie. He screamed as the flames licked at his face, effectively breaking his concentration. Ruy let out a frustrated grunt as he slashed at Wylie with a dagger. Wylie stopped the blow with a bright glowing sword that appeared out of thin air. Sophie felt Grady grab her arm and she turned to meet his gaze again. "Any bright ideas?" He asked, watching the battles closely.

"No i-- actually I might but we have to get this stuff off us first." Sophie said

"Well thats kind of impossible isn't it." He said in frustration.

"Maybe not. I think Glimmer is here and she knows how to get this off maybe if we--" She suddenly stopped mid sentence. Grady froze at the exact same time. the fog swirled up around her and pulled her into position, gluing her to the ground. Grady started moving towards Fitz and threw another punch. Her hand shot out next to her and someone grabbed it. She cursed under her breath when she saw Alina standing next to her. Gethen flicked on her enhancing and warmth crackled out of her fingertips to Alina's.
"How about we all calm down yes? Take a nice long break..." She said. Her voice was like smooth honey pouring over the honeycomb of battles scattered over the island. everyone seemed to slow down, seeming more tired than before. "Come now, we all need a quick rest dont we?" She said again, her words spinning into sweet cotton candy.

Sophie gritted her teeth, "Stop! Keep going guys!" She practically screamed.

Alina twisted her hand painfully, quickly saying, "Don't listen to her!"

"Guys you have to listen to me!" Sophie shouted. She scanned  the silver field. Her friends seemed slightly sluggish but Keefe was looking straight at her. "Please you have to keep going!" She said to him. He gave her a wink and nodded his head to something behind her. She glanced back and saw Dex creeping closer to her and Alina. He put a finger to his mouth. Alina twisted her hand again but then Dex lunged and knocked her to the ground. She started getting back up with a confused "Wah--" but was interrupted a second time when Sophie kicked her in the head. Dex gasped when he saw a flash of silver and green come from under her hood. "Is that-- is that--"