30 - no uber for pregnant ladies

I looked at Robert as he hung up the phone, his face sad and disappointed. 

Just a moment before, he was happy, and now, within seconds, it had all changed. 

I felt my cheeks heat up in shame, the blanket suddenly feeling heavy on my shoulders. "What did I do?", I whispered, hoping he wouldn't be too mad, even though I wasn't sure what I had done.

He shook his head, his hand reaching out to hold mine.

 "It's not anything that you did," he sighed,

"It's your mother."

Ugh. I knew she had the power to completely ruin a good moment, even if she wasn't present. I groaned and pulled the blanket over my face. "She wants you back," he continued, his voice solemn.

I felt like I had been punched right in the gut; what did she want me back for? I felt the fear suddenly gripping me. "Please don't make me return to her, please, Robert, please," I begged him, feeling my body start to shake.

What a great week for the baby.

I hid my face more and more under the blanket, feeling the emotions of anger and disappointment rising in my chest.

Robert spoke softly, but there was still a hint of concern in his voice.

"Hey, listen, look at me," he said. I wasn't sure if he noticed, but I could feel the tension in the room. He was trying to reassure me that my mother couldn't take me away, and while I knew he was right, I still felt scared.

I had an appointment tomorrow. So, I tried my best to keep my tears in, not wanting to arrive with swollen eyes.

"The law states that child protection services only work if you're under 18," he said. There was a moment of silence before he continued. "It even says that you can evict your child when they turn 18. She kicked you out. She has no right anymore, you moved in with me."

I looked back at him, "But this apartment is under your name.",

Robert smiled, rubbing my thigh. "We will change that, don't worry about it"

I smiled back, yawning. I didn't want to hear more of my mother, I just wanted to go to sleep with Robert cuddling me.

"You're all worn out", Robert said, rolling over to his side of the bed. "Uhm, well, I don't wanna say it's your fault...but it's your fault", I grinned. He laughed and hugged me, putting his head on my shoulder.

"You should sleep, you have an early appointment tomorrow and I have work. I'll drive you there",

I rolled my eyes. "You know I can take an Uber, right?", He yawned, grabbing me tighter. "No Uber for pregnant ladies", I looked at him and noticed that his eyes were already closed, and he was dozing off. I turned around to face him, stroking his cheek.

Snuggling closer to him, I felt safe and secure in his arms as I drifted off to sleep.

_____________________________________________________________________