50 - a little surprise

„Stop shaking your leg like that, you'll cause an earthquake.", Robert whispered into my ear, making me glare at him.

„Are you calling me fat?", I replied, maybe a little bit too loud for his liking because suddenly everyone turned towards us, glancing between me and Robert.

Robert laughed nervously, defending himself with his hands in the air. „I wasn't calling her fat, she just misunderstood something"
Although most of them looked away, just shaking their head, one of them glared right into Robert's eyes. I don't know why she was glaring, but she was scaring me instead of Robert at this point.

Robert pretended to look out of the window, trying to avoid making eye contact with that..was that the one girl from scary movie 2?

„Ms. Harvey?", I turned my head to see a nurse standing in the corner, smiling at us. I sighed, my enormous belly making it difficult as I tried to stand up.

I was literally an overfed whale.

Robert grabbed my arm and we started making our way to the ultrasound room. I had already contacted Gianna, Jaycee's sister, to help me after the appointment. I should've called her sooner, but considering what happened in the past months...maybe, just maybe, I forgot to.

„Just lie down and make yourself comfortable, Dr. Rowe will be here in a second," she smiled at us. I tried to lie down, cussing myself out. I was only 5 months and felt like I was carrying 45 babies in my uterus. I barely could see my toes. not to panic, but WHERE WERE MY TOES?!

„I'm so fat..", I whispered, hiding my face. Robert just laughed.
„Yeah, you should lose weight, especially your tummy..wow. When did you manage to gain so much weight on your stomach?"
„Excuse me? That's your fault", I pouted, crossing my arms, even though it was barely possible.

He took my hand and kissed the back of it, making me shiver again. It was just these small touches that made my heart jump, even if it was just a small kiss to someone, to me, it was intimate and just a loving and gentle gesture.

Dr. Rowe stepped into the room with a smile on her face, looking at us both.
„Ah, the daddy is with us this time." I cringed, feeling myself sink further into the stretcher, while Robert just laughed, his face turning a nice color of pink.

Yeah, that's what you get, bitch.

„So, how are we feeling?" Dr. Rowe asked, scooting closer to me with her chair as she prepared the wand. „Uh...fat. tired. sick. tired. fat," I replied, biting my lip as she applied the cold gel to my belly.
„That's completely normal. You're not fat, you're carrying another human being," she smiled, typing something into that weird robot thing again. Robert smiled innocently and said, „That's what I told her, too," as I glared at him.
„You just told me-", He interrupted me before I could say anything, „I said nothing.",

Dr. Rowe just looked at us with an amused face, asking if we were ready. Robert immediately exclaimed a loud yes and I rolled my eyes.
I bought a child to the appointment.

She nodded and applied the wand to my belly, her happy expression turning to one of confusion. I could feel my brow furrow, wondering what was wrong. She whispered, looking closer at the screen, and I found myself on the verge of tears.
Robert squeezed my hand, his expression mirroring mine. „I'm sorry, I-", she said, before her wide eyes met mine.

„No the baby is fine!", she awkwardly smiled.
„.. The babies. We made a small mistake."
„What?", I asked, more confused than before. I had no idea what she was talking about.
It was like she was speaking in puzzles.

What babies?

Dr. Rowe turned the screen towards us, still with an awkward smile, and said, „Okay, we can't fully rely on medical devices. Sometimes we make mistakes ourselves. I guess when we did the first and second ultrasounds, someone decided to play hide and seek with us."
Robert squeezed my hand tightly.
„Are there two heads or am I getting blind?" he asked.