38- family issues

I was released from the hospital the next day, but Robert still had to stay there until tomorrow, just in case. I still couldn't figure out what surgery he had and what exactly happened, but when I saw the pictures of the car crash I almost collapsed. The car was almost split in half, barely recognizable. I was so relieved that Robert was okay, but I was still worried about him and his recovery.

The air was silent and still in our apartment, everything was intact and undisturbed. I felt a heavy weight on my chest as I thought of being alone in the apartment tonight.

 I was in the midst of making myself a cup of tea when the doorbell rang, catching me off guard.
Scarlett had warned me that I shouldn't open the door for anyone today unless it was her, but if it had been her, she would have called first. I hesitated for a moment, holding my breath as I hoped that whoever was on the other side of the door would just go away.
But then I heard some knocking and a voice yelling "Robert, I know that you're in there!" and I was taken aback. 

The voice didn't belong to Laura, my mother, Sandra or Scarlett. I didn't recognize the voice at all.  

I opened the door cautiously, only to find a woman in her 40s with long, dark brown, almost black, hair looking back at me. "Uh.. you're not... Laura." she said. I shook my head, confirming that I indeed wasn't Laura. I could throw a whole party about not being Laura. 

"Who are you?", I asked, trying to find any similarities between her and Laura. She smiled at me "You're Robert's new girlfriend, right?", completely ignoring my question. I told her it wasn't any of her business and tried to close the door, but she blocked it with her foot.
"Listen, I'm not here to judge, I'm here to pick up Laura," she said. 

Suddenly, it clicked. This was probably the mother of Lucifer, picking up her little innocent baby.

 I was hesitant to let her in, especially since she was related to Laura. 

She spoke up again, her words sounding like an attempt to persuade me into letting her in. "Only here to pick up Laura. I'm not going to start any drama, she just texted me that she wants nothing to do with him and that I should pick her up. I'm not going to cause any trouble", she said, smiling at me. Despite Robert's warnings, something inside of me said that this woman was completely different to how she had been portrayed.
When she stepped inside, she looked around "Nice place", and then her eyes fell on my baby bump, which was visible when I wore tight clothing. I cursed myself out for wearing leggings and a tank top, but who knew that someone would visit me?! 

I attempted to cover it, but it was too late. Ah, shit. Maybe I should buy myself one of these T-rex costumes to avoid questions. 

"Looks like you're gonna have a boy, your belly is more narrow than wide. I had the same shape when I was pregnant with my son", she smiled again. I didn't feel uncomfortable around her, rather a feeling of unreality that her mother appeared so normal compared to her. Was she really related to this..mess? "So..where's Laura?", she asked as she sat down on the couch. 

I looked at her, feeling confused. "Uhm...I don't..know...do you want something to drink while you wait? Water, or.." she interrupted me, her voice soft and quiet. "If you have coffee, I'd be happy to have one." 

As I brewed her a cup, I was still trying to make sense of the situation. Robert had told me a completely different story about this woman, so either she was acting right now or I had been misinformed. I was in my own world, focusing on preparing her coffee, when she suddenly appeared beside me. I jumped and stepped away from her, my guard up. 

No matter who she actually was, anyone who knew Laura posed a threat to me at that moment. She quickly apologized for scaring me, and I managed a small smile in response. "No worries."
The silence that followed was awkward, and I felt the need to break it. I spoke up, trying to get some information.

TJ's Plan // Robert Downey Jr.जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें