Chapter 26

Namjoon POV:

After a few hours of research, Taehyung and I started our first 'emotional bonding' trial. That's what the so-called professionals named it at least.

Supposedly, we should be able to feel each other's emotions without needing to ask questions or press for more information. This could be very useful if we can use this to access how our other partners are feeling. Well, it might not help us solve the way that they are feeling, but at least we will know.

I'm not sure how Yoongi and Hoseok are doing with their experiments, but I have not heard much from them. Currently, Taehyung and I are in the dining room sitting across from each other. It might work better if we are closer, but working with distance should do no harm. If anything, it will actually benefit us. Though, progress may be slow.

As the books have theorized, we first hold on to each other's hands. Then, one person thinks of a very vivid memory that stands out for emotional reasons, such as: a funeral, a wedding, or a fear. Finally, the other person will try and feel those same emotions.

For now, it is all a guessing game, and we will not be telling each other what emotion the memory will evoke. That would ruin the whole point of the experiment, of course.

First, I will be recalling the time when I stepped on a snake, and it chased me for about a mile. That's probably the biggest shock and fear I've ever felt in a moment. It wasn't just some garter snake, either! It was deadly, I'm sure of it!

As vividly as I could muster, I replay the memory in my head. By using all of the five senses, I believe I can give myself nearly the same amount of fear and shock as before. After a moment of preparation, I start from the beginning. Oh, how peaceful of a walk.

Then, I peer at an interesting tree trunk as I identify lots of the little creatures that inhabit it. All of a sudden, I feel the strange stick under my shoe wiggle! I have never lifted my foot faster as I felt the struggle of the stick below me. Only, of course, it was no stick. A black, writhing snake violently jerks around on the pebbled pathway.

As I was walking the trail by myself, I had nobody to call for help as I was positive I was going to be ruthlessly injected with a fatal venom. Oh, what a fright! I ran like my life depended on it, yet it chased me down the rocky trail. That midnight serpent slithered hastily as it tried to catch me. Luckily for me, I have legs.

I managed to escape, but barely! My mortality was on the line, yet I conquered and triumphed. That stupid snake was no match for my survival skills!

As I finished recalling the memory, I opened my eyes to view Taehyung. Did he feel anything at all? Because I know I sure did. My heart rate had risen significantly, especially at the part where it chased me! Anxiously, I wait for any form of recognition. Slowly, Taehyung peels his eyes open.

"Well?" I whisper to him. He holds my gaze.

"I felt... something. Were you afraid? I also felt a strange boost of confidence, but maybe I was just encouraging myself." He answers. A smile presents itself onto my face at his response.

Finally, we're in business.

Jungkook POV:

Unflattering snores sound throughout the room as I stir in my sleep. It is the middle of the night, and I've been sleeping soundly for the past two hours, but an unfamiliar feeling pokes me awake.

For the past, what I assume to be, day, I've been aching and groaining in pain. However, I've been too tired to stay awake for long periods of time. There are many positives to that, though. For example, I do not get a long period of time to worry about my soulmates. That would definitely pull me over the edge.