Chapter 27

Y/n POV:

Raps of knocking sound at the door and frighten you awake. As you heart beats rapidly, a familiar face peaks into your room.

"Sorry about that! I thought you'd be up by now." The new nurse apologizes. She carries a tray into your room as usual and takes a seat next to your bed.

"Don't worry about it. I guess I slept in." You chuckle at her. Though, there really is no sleeping in, is there?

"I mean, what else can you do here?" She rolls her eyes. "Today I have French toast, eggs, a banana, and yogurt. Oh! And of course, some more water." She chirps. Your stomach growls as the food nears you.

"That looks great! Though, I won't eat the eggs because, and I'll let you in on a little secret, they're gross." You make an odd face as you tell her. She laughs while covering her mouth and rocks forward.

"I can't say I blame you. Plain eggs really are gross. I'll tell you a secret in return: they don't season the eggs." She cups a hand to the side of her mouth as she tells you the secret. You laugh at her while your eyes squint.

"Well, I think I would love to start with the French toast." You announce. She nods while smiling and grabs a forkful for you.

"So what's your name?" You ask her after your first mouthful. She blinks for a moment before she speaks up.

"My name is Lianna. I would ask for your name in return, but I'm afraid I already know that." She chuckles lightly. Your heart aches for a moment, but you return the laugh anyway. She hands you another bite, which you spend a little extra time chewing. Having her here for as long as possible couldn't be a bad thing.

"Do you know what the rest of my day looks like?" You ask her. She tilts her head as she thinks for a moment.

"I believe the doctor will see you about an hour after this breakfast. I'm not sure what he has planned, but it will not take very long." She answers hopefully. Slowly, you nod at her.

After your next mouthful, you ask, "What made you decide to work here?" She eyes you for a minute, and you put on your most innocent expression. Finally, she caves in.

"The pay, to put it simply. This facility pays very well, even to the people that just provide some food, which is me." She stops talking early.

"How does it make you feel to work here?" You pry further.

She looks around for a moment as a heavy weight falls onto her shoulders. Her heart of gold is tainted more after each day of work.

"Honestly? Not good... the people that come in here are all so full of life, and then this places wrings them out like a sopping towel. The only good part about me being here besides the pay, is the hope that I'm making it more bearable for them." She answers softly. Her smile sags, and her eyes droop while her voice weakens.

"I can say that so far, you have been making my stay much more bearable. It's just nice to see a friendly figure in a place full of uncertainty. I fear for my future, but you made me forget about that in the two mornings I've been here." You offer her a hesitant smile.

"Believe it or not, but you've actually been here for three mornings. You slept through the first day." She giggles at you. Your eyebrows jump up as your eyes snap open. Soon, you begin laughing along with her. "Though that is very kind of you. I'm glad I can make your stay better." Her expression softens as she returns to a more serious state.

"Thank you, Lianna. I'll see you tomorrow?" You ask her as she packs up your leftover breakfast. She looks at you as she begins walking across the room.