Chapter 28

"Ready?" The annoying doctor asks as the ten minutes finally end. You decided to use the ten minutes wisely. By that, you bothered all three of the doctors as much as possible. There was a point where the stoic doctor had plugged his ears for a minute or so for some peace. A sense of pride crawled at the back of your mind.

If you were kidnapped and brought here for another reason, you wouldn't act in such a taunting way. However, they need you for research, so you can get away with this behavior without being harmed. At least, you hope so, otherwise you'd be dead meat.

The doctors tie your wrists back to your bed, and they begin to apply the strange, freezing jelly to your forehead. Although ultrasounds are a fairly common procedure, you've never had one done before. It's not exactly pleasant, but it certainly is not bad.

Soon enough, they've taken readings of your head, torso, and thighs. Surprisingly, they acted very professionally about the applications. You had become nervous at the idea of them moving your clothing around, however, they were extremely respectful and cautious. This made you relax quite a bit.

"Are you ready for your surprise?" Minghao asks. You tilt your head with furrowed eyebrows. Thankfully, they aren't covered in jelly anymore.

"Was this not the surprise?"

"No," He chuckles. "Since you behaved so well for us, we are allowing you to go outside for some fresh air." Your heart rate increases in excitement at the thought of finally feeling the sun on your skin again.

While being here, you were always allowed to at least see the sun, but now you're getting the opportunity to feel it? Maybe you would pick on them a little less from now on.

"Really? Wow it's a dream come true!" A silly grin decorates your face in childlike delight. You fail to see Minghao's softened features as your eyes are glued to the window.

He carefully unties you before giving you a slight lecture.

"Before we open this door, I want you to know that we are giving you a small piece of freedom. If you use this in a negative way, it will never happen again, and you will be locked up with the window closed. Got it?" He speaks firmly. Still, you smile widely and nod.

At this point, you have no thoughts of escaping because, like you've made clear before, you do not want the punishments. It makes you feel wonderful to know that you could be getting closer to freedom by behaving for these doctors.

You pay attention closely to the route that takes you outdoors. Out of the door, to the left, take a right, down the stairs, straight, to the right, through the large, white doors. They lead you through a small parking lot, and you realize that the hospital is practically surrounded by the forest. A gravel road leads out of the parking lot, telling you just how disconnected this facility is from the rest of the world.

They take a turn and guide you around to the side of the building. You did not expect the gorgeous sight in front of you. Stopping in your tracks, your mouth drops open. Minghao waves an arm out with a smile.

"This is our courtyard. Compliant patients are allowed here while monitored by some doctors. Feel free to roam around. We'll only be out for fifteen minutes." He says, waving a hand. Though, you wait to move.

"You're just... letting me wander?"

"Yup. You know the consequences of disobeying, so it's up to you to do what you wish." He shrugs. A smile creeps up your face.

As you look away from him, you head straight for the large, water fountain. Two swirling, marble fish spit water in opposite directions, flowing down into the pool below. You take a seat on the edge and swirl your fingers into the cool water. For the first time in days, you see your own reflection.