15| 𝑪𝒖𝒓𝒊𝒐𝒖𝒔

"Shit

"Shit." I cursed under my breath.

I tightened my hands around the steering wheel anxiously. I spotted an all too familiar red Toyota Camry parked in the driveway, and I felt like I was going to throw up. It was my mom's car. She was home. I was expecting her to be at church, and I would see Amelia first.

I informed them I was coming home, but I didn't disclose to them when. I wanted to surprise them. I will stay with my mom and sister for the next few days. Then I am required to go back to work and stay at Josh's beach mansion.

"Here goes nothing." I sighed to myself.

I prayed as I got out of my rental car. My nerves were crashing everywhere by the time I walked to the front door. I turned the doorknob and strolled in. The house smelled of stewed vegetables. My mom was seated at the kitchen table, silently reading the bible. The house was still the same. Nothing was altered. The walls were still painted a pea-green color, and there were pictures of Jesus everywhere.

"Hi Mommy." I said with a smile.

Seeing her face caused my heart to warm. She wore a long mint green gown and her reading glasses was resting on the bridge of her nose. Who was I kidding? I missed my bitch.

"Cheri!" She leaped up from her seat and ran over to me.

We embraced in a hug. The familiar scent of her sweet-scented perfume hit my nostrils.

Amelia flew out of her room and bulldozed over to me. She burst into tears and hugged me as tightly as she could.

"I told you I'm coming." I ran my hand through her long jet-black braids.

"How long are you here for?" My mom questioned.

"Um, I'm here for a travel assignment. I'm going to be here for the rest of the summer." I lied straight through my teeth.

There is no way in hell I'm going to tell my mom I'm a nanny to some rich white family. I may be twenty-four, and I'm an adult with adult bills, but that will not play a factor in my mom's eyes. She will beat my motherfucking ass.

After my mom and sister showered me with hugs and kisses, we sat at the table and talked. My mom took it upon herself to prepare me for a feast. I devoured her cooking in minutes. I fucking missed her cooking so much.

"Lincoln got robbed. He was also beaten up at gunpoint. He's in the hospital." Amelia stated to me when we were alone in her bedroom.

Good job Rudy!

I glared at her. From the furious expression on her face, she did not seem too pleased about it. I don't know what she thought was going to happen. She can't just call me devastated like that and not expect me to react and get shit handled. The fuck she thought this was?

"Oh is that so," I said calmly to her.

"You wouldn't know what that is about, would you?" She asked, squinting her almond-shaped eyes at me.