Chapter 4 - Are You Saying You're Gay?

.Chapter 4 - Are You Saying You're Gay?.

If you want to submit any Artwork/Banner/Cover, please do so on wattpadlegallycrazy@gmail.com :)

FOR FURTHER UPDATES, DON'T FORGET TO ADD 'CIGARETTES, REBELS, AND ME' TO YOUR LIBRARIES AND READING LISTS!

****

(Last edited: 30/03/2016)

The worst thing anyone can be obligated to do is to act fake.

I try to focus on the food in front of me, twirling the noodles in my plate round a fork with disinterest, the sound of Bethany's excited voice making me want to stab my ears with it; or better yet, I could stab her.

Bethany Collins has come home for the weekend, wanting to spend some time with her family and away from her roommate. Maybe she thought it was overrated to spend the entire summer holiday with her family, unlike Cameron, who spends as much time in this house as possible. He isn't particularly fond of living alone in an apartment when his college is closed.

Nevertheless, everyone is unsurprisingly delighted to have Bethany here.

Except for my grandmother and Cam.

Cam has never been a part of Bethany's act, and I'm glad. I know it is wrong of me to even think this, but I can't help but feel that he's on my side.

Bethany keeps on talking about how she's best friends with her room mate now, and how their neighbours - two boys, who also happen to be of Bethany and her room mate's age, are extremely kind and helpful.

For a brief second, I look at Grandma, seeing her roll her eyes subtly. Then she catches me looking at her and winks at me with a mischievous look in her sparkling green eyes.

Turning her attention towards Bethany, Grandma says, "That's wonderful dear." Sarcasm drips from her tone, and Cam nudges my foot, trying to catch my attention. We try not to snicker as an oblivious Bethany says, "Aw, thank you! I'm telling you, I think one of the-"

But Grandma cuts off her gloating and says smoothly, "So you're getting equal attention from both girls and boys...

"Don't get me wrong but you seem to be enjoying that a little too much. If you don't mind dear, can I ask you something? Don't feel shy to answer me, we're all family..."

"Yes, sure." Beth twirls a strand of her black hair and nods enthusiastically, desperately trying to impress Grandma, because she doesn't act as though Bethany is a star or a celebrity.

"Are you saying you're gay?" Grandma's question immediately shuts everybody up and Bethany's mouth opens and closes like a goldfish.

"What?" she stutters, "No, they just, um, no... I'm not a lesbian."

I stifle a grin as the conversation at the dinner table automatically tunes down, an air of awkwardness surrounding us. Mom fakes a smile after mumbling something, then disappears in the kitchen under the pretext of bringing in the dessert.

Bethany is silent for once, and Gramdma, being the dear one she is, takes the opportunity to steer me into a new conversation.

"How are your holidays going, Ella?"

"Um, fine," I say, taken aback by the sudden attention on me.

"Which book are you reading currently?" Bethany interrupts with a chauvinistic smile on her face. I raise my eyebrows slightly, not liking her tone.

Does she think that reading is overrated when compared to making friends, socialising and partying, like it's the only objective of life?

"I'm planning to take up a job at the local library till my holidays end," I answer, ignoring Bethany.