Confronted by the Enemies

After the doctor had discharged Madison, they drove home and didn’t speak a word to each other. Madison wasn’t able to go back to school until tomorrow, and she didn’t know how to reach out to any of her friends without her phone, and she was in desperate need of contacting them.

She grabs her laptop, goes to google, and starts researching a whole bunch of things to keep her mind occupied. She first starts with shopping online, but doesn’t really buy anything. And then she spends hours getting frustrated by homework, so she just gives up everything in general. She slams her laptop closed and her textbook before pushing out of the chair and walking to her bed, sitting down as she lets out a frustrated sigh.

Madison puts her head in her hands, but then snaps her head to her door when she hears someone knock and sees Sarah standing in the doorway. “Mom told me that she’s made weekly appointments with the guidance counselor at your school for you to get help,” Sarah admits as she walks into Madison’s room and sits down next to her, which causes Madison to roll her eyes. “Actually, she’s making you go twice a week.”

“Like she even cares,” Madison comments as she leans against her wall and avoids eye contact with Sarah.

“Well I do, Mads,” Sarah reminds Madison as she looks at her sympathetically. “I don’t care why you did it, but you need to talk to someone about it all, and not just me. I mean, like, a professional.” Madison scoffs as she shakes her head. “Just please do this, for me. And if not for me, do it for Derek.” Madison makes eye contact with Sarah and her face softens before nodding. Sarah sighs before wrapping her arms around Madison. “I love you, Mads.”

“I love you too, Sarah,” Madison says back as she pushes out of the hug and smiles at her. Sarah smiles back as she gets up from Madison’s bed and walks out of the room, closing the door behind her. Madison sighs as she shakes her head and stares off into the distance, before remembering about the book underneath her bed. She looks towards her door as she gets up from her bed and grabs the book from under her bed.

Madison pulls the book to her chest as she sits back onto her bed before putting it down in front of her. She sighs as she opens the book up and starts flipping through the spells, trying to memorize them as well, but recognizes a lot of them from the spell books she and Sarah had looked through. She smiles as she reads a lot of telekinesis spells, and decides to try one. She looks at her candle on her desk and takes a deep breath before letting it out. “Mittent,” she whispers, and seconds later, the candle flies into her hand, causing her to let out an excited laugh. “Wow.”

Madison ends up spending the entire night practicing every spell she can and tries to avoid the dark spells and the harmful ones as well- for now, at least. Once she realizes what time it was, she sighs and puts the book back underneath her bed before getting underneath her covers and attempting to fall asleep.

°°°°

“Mom said that you’re going to have your first meeting with the guidance counselor today,” Sarah says to Madison as she drives her to school the next morning. Madison sighs as she keeps her gaze out the window, which causes Sarah to sigh as she quickly glances over at Madison before looking back at the road. “Did you hear me, Mads?”

“Yes, I heard you,”  Madison replies as she continues to stare out the window.

“You look nice today. That Taylor Swift shirt really is amazing.” Madison smiles, but her head is still facing the window. “And that jacket- absolutely amazing as well.”

“What do you want, Sarah?” Madison asks her as she turns to look at her.

“I was just trying to get you to look at me,” Sarah admits. "And trying to make you feel better, but I guess giving you this back will do the trick." She pulls out Madison’s phone and hands it to her, making Madison smile.