Late night

Madison got home that night from Scott’s around eleven and surprisingly, her mom wasn’t home yet. She sighs as she walks up the stairs and into her room, completely drained from tonight’s events with even more questions than she had before. If the kanima isn’t Lydia, then who else could it be? Why was she so angry to see Allison there with Scott and why did Scott look upset that Madison was in Derek’s pack. 

Madison throws all the questions in her head out as she plops down on her bed and lets out a frustrated sigh, unable to put pieces together. “How’d it go?” She hears her sister ask and she sits up, seeing her leaning against the doorframe of their connected bathroom. 

“Well, we didn’t find out who the kanima was, which was a total bust,” Madison answers as she leans back against the wall behind her. 

“I thought you said Derek thought it was Lydia.”

“Well, it isn’t. Now we don’t know who it is and the worst thing is that it got away and is probably going off to kill its next victim.” Sarah looks at her with a questionable look and Madison sighs as she runs a hand through her hair. “Sorry, I’m just frustrated.”

“I guess it’s a good thing that mom isn’t home then, huh?” Sarah questions as she walks over to Madison and sits down in front of her. 

“Where is she anyway?”

“I don’t know and I honestly don’t care right now. When she’s not home, you’re safer- we’re safer and that’s all that matters.” After that leaves Sarah’s mouth, they both hear the front door swing open and slam shut, causing them to tense up immediately. 

“Way to jinx it, Sarah,” Madison whispers at her, sounding frightened as the sound of footsteps going up the stairs fills the house. They both tense up even more when their mom walks past Madison’s bedroom door and sees her walk off to her bedroom, making them both let out sighs of relief as they relax. As soon as they do, their mom comes back into their sight and stops right in front of Madison’s bedroom door, looking absolutely wrecked. 

“Did you guys listen and stay home?” She asks them. 

“Yes mom, we did,” Madison replies. 

“You aren’t lying to me, are you, Madison?” 

Madison sighs frustratedly before saying “No, mom, I’m not lying to you.”

“What did I say about your attitude? Get your ass over here, now!” Madison looks up at Sarah with a scared look on her face before slowly getting up from her bed and walking over to her. She avoids eye contact with her mom when she gets in front of her. “Look at me.” Madison lets out a shaky breath as she looks up at her mom, trying not to cry. Her mom lifts her hand and smacks Madison across her face. Madison is unable to register what had happened because her mom pushes her into her bookshelf, surprisingly not breaking it.

“I said if you didn’t get rid of your attitude, I’d beat it out of you, didn’t I?” Her mom’s voice booms through Madison’s room and Madison doesn’t reply, so her mom grabs her and throws her towards her desk, making her back hit it before her body lumps down onto the floor. Madison tries not to cry out and Sarah doesn’t move from her spot as she watches the scene play out. “Didn’t I?”

“Yes!” Madison shouts back before standing up from the ground and looking at her mom. Her mom smacks her face again before pushing her back to the floor.