Birthday Girl

Madison wakes up the next morning to the sun shining through her window and with an arm draped over her. She smiles to herself, not wanting this moment to end.

The moment ends when Madison's phone rings from her desk. Derek groans as he pulls Madison closer to him. "Turn it off," He mumbles, his eyes still closed and his face pressed into her back.

"You have to let go of me so I can turn it off," Madison says as she laughs at him.

"Nope. Not letting you go." He pulls her by her waist and moves her to where she's sitting on his lap, making her laugh as he does. She smiles down at him as her hands rest on his now bare chest, which was not bare when they went to sleep.

"When did you take off your clothes?" Madison asks as her hair falls into her face and her phone stops ringing.

"I got hot last night," Derek responds with a shrug and then smiles. "Happy birthday, baby."

Madison smiles at him before leaning down and laying her lips on his for a quick kiss. "Thank you." They smile at each other, but it quickly fades when they hear her phone go off again. "Oh my god." Madison gets off of Derek and off her bed, walking over to her desk to answer her phone.

"What?" She says to the person on the other end.

"Well good morning to you, too, fake girlfriend," she hears Isaac say to her and she laughs at his response while running a hand through her hair.

"Sorry. You kinda interrupted something."

"Oh god. Were you and Derek having sex just now?"

"No, we weren't." Isaac sighs in relief from the other end and Madison smiles before asking, "So what's up?"

"I was just calling to wish you a happy birthday."

"Well thank you." Madison smiles at his kindness, but it fades when she hears someone knock on her open bedroom door. Her head snaps up and she sees her sister standing in the doorway with a small box and card in her hands. "Look, Isaac. I gotta go. I'll call you back later." Before she gets a response, she hangs up and sets her phone down.

"Happy birthday," Sarah says to her sister.

"Thanks," Madison responds with a small smile on her face as she sits down in front of Derek on her bed.

"This came for you," she states as she holds up the box and then holds up the card, adding, "And this is from me." Sarah walks up to Madison and hands them to her.

Madison opens the box first, curious as to what it could be. She tears the wrapping off of it first before opening the box, her jaw dropping when she sees what's inside. "Did it come with a card or anything to say who sent it?" Madison asks as she pulls the necklace out of the box.

"Nope," Sarah responds as she shakes her head. Madison inspects the necklace, in awe of how gorgeous it is. It's a gold, heart shaped necklace with the word "Fearless" carved into it. "That's really pretty though."

"Yeah, it is." Madison smiles softly as she puts the necklace back in the box, setting it aside to open the envelope from Sarah. She opens it and sees a handmade card inside. Pulling it out, she inspects the front of it. A well drawn cake is on the front and in neat, calligraphy writing says Happy Birthday, Madison written on it.

Madison opens the card and a twenty dollar bill falls down on her lap, but she leaves it there as she reads the inside. She smiles at what's written inside. You getting old means I'm getting old, so stop. Love you though, nerd. And Happy birthday.

"Thank you, Sarah," Madison says as she grabs the twenty and puts it back in the card before closing it and hugging her sister. "I love you too." Sarah pushes out of the hug and smiles at her sister.