Unwanted Alliance

A few nights later, Madison, Derek and Isaac all head to the animal clinic, entering through the front. When they get to the door, they see Scott holding it open for them.

"What are they doing here?" Scott questions as his gaze goes back and forth between Madison and Isaac. They all walk into the clinic as their conversation continues.

"I need them," Derek responds as they walk towards behind the counter, the small gate already propped open.

"I don't trust them," Scott comments as he follows behind them.

"Yeah, well, we don't trust you, either," Madison comments as the two of them lean against the desk in the front.

"You know what? And Derek doesn't really care." Madison looks to her left and sees Isaac already looking at her. She smiles at him and he smiles back before they turn their attention back to Derek. "Now, where's the vet? Is he gonna help us, or not?"

"That depends," they hear someone say from behind Madison and Isaac. Madison jumps at the voice and they all look towards the back to see the vet, or better known as Deaton, standing in the doorway. "Your friend, Jackson... Are we planning to kill him, or save him?"

"Kill him," Derek responds at the same time Scott says, "Save him."

Scott, growing impatient, looks over at Derek and says, "Save him." He looks back at Deaton and repeats, "Save him."

Deaton nods before the five of them head to the back and gather around a table. Madison is standing in between Scott and Isaac and Derek is on Isaac's left. Deaton walks over to the counter and brings back a rack full of tubes. Isaac reaches over to touch one of them, but Derek grabs his wrist to stop him.

"Watch what you touch," Derek warns as Isaac takes his wrist out of his grasp. Isaac rolls his eyes as he looks over at Madison and she looks at him when she feels his gaze on her. They smile at each other before putting their attention back onto Deaton.

"So, what are you, some kind of witch?" Isaac questions as he leans on the table.

"No, I'm a veterinarian," Deaton comments before smiling at Isaac, the smile barely reaching his eyes.

"I'm the only witch, Lahey," Madison says to him. He looks over at her with a smile on his face and she smiles back at him.

"Unfortunately, I don't see anything here that's going to be an effective defense against a paralytic toxin," Deaton comments, pulling the teenagers out of their daydream and forcing their attention back on him.

"We're open to suggestions," Derek admits.

"What about an effective offense?" Isaac suggests.

"We already tried. I nearly took its head off, and Argent emptied an entire clip into it. The thing just gets back up."

"Has it shown any weaknesses?" Deaton questions.

"Well, one- it can't swim."

"Does that go for Jackson as well?"

"No, he's the captain of the swim team," Madison replies, fixing her stance and folding her arms over her chest.

"Essentially, you're trying to catch two people-" Deaton walks to the counter behind him, as Isaac fixes his posture and stands up straight, and grabs something and returns to the table holding it up for them as he continues, "a puppet, and a puppeteer." He places the item on the table in front of them all. "One killed the husband, but the other had to take care of the wife. Do we know why?"

"I don't think Jackson could do it," Scott answers. "His mother died pregnant, too, and she was maybe murdered. I think he couldn't let the same thing happen to someone else."