[5] - Settling In

I chat with the city girls a while longer before going to get my key. Room 12. I make my way up the corridor to my room. I spot my room and what appears to be my roommate struggling with her key.

"Here, let me." I suggest before opening the door.

"Thanks." the girl says.

We enter the room and I place my duffel bags on one of the beds. It dawns on me that this will be my first time sleeping in a bed that's mine for almost a year. No park benches or mates sofas. I also realise looking at my bags that this is all my earthly possessions. All I have.

I'm suddenly snapped out of my thoughts by a voice. I forgot I wasn't alone for a minute.

"I'm jade." My roommate says.

"I'm Blair nice to meet you." I reply.

"How you feeling?" She questions me.

"Ehh I'm a little nervous I suppose it's my first camp." I reply honestly although I'm not nervous about the football more about everything else.

"Really? It's your first tour? me too." Jade tells me. "I thought you would've been playing for Scotland for a while now."

"Why's that?" I ask slightly confused.

"I play for rangers and when we played City you were on fire I remember you scored 2 goals and got an assist that game." She explains.

I'm shocked she remembers me I feel kinda bad I don't remember her.

Me and jade continue to get to know each other a bit before we get a message with the rest of today's schedule. It's half 3 now and it says tea will be served from 5 till half 6.

"I think I'm gonna get a quick shower." I say to jade.

"Yeah cool I'll hop in after." She replies.

I get in the shower and just let the warm water run down me. I just let the feelings sink in I cant believe I'm here. I gotta make the most of it and embrace the opportunity.

Once me and jade are finished in the shower and all unpacked. Granted it didn't take me long with my lack of stuff. We decide to go for a quick walk around the training pitch as we still have 30 minutes until tea.

"How old are you I've been meaning to ask?" Jade says as we get out onto the pitch.

Here we go I internally think. "I'm 17." I reply.

"Wow no way, I mean I knew you were young but I thought you were maybe my age you seem so mature for your age.

I guess all the shit I've been through has matured me. "Yeah I guess I am quite mature, how old are you?"

"I'm 19 nearly 20." She tells me.

We continue to talk. I like jade I can tell we will be good friends I decide that I better make a conscious effort to make friends this camp. This past year I've been so focused on football and using it to battle my mental health I've neglected any kind of social life.

I learn more about Jade she is easy to talk to. She has two wee brothers and is very close with her family she goes to uni for sport science although she only does to please her family. She asks me about my family it makes me slightly sad but she doesn't know. I simply tell her I'm an only child and I'm not to close with my mum luckily she doesn't push me.

Before we know it it's quarter past five and we're fifteen minutes late for tea. We quickly rush inside and find a seat at a table with Grace and her roommate who I learn is called Laura.

After tea we go to the common room for a bit but I leave before Jade deciding I need an early night.