[6] - Starting Strong

I get myself ready for bed and just before I'm about to go to sleep I get the message through in the group chat with tomorrow's schedule.

08:00-9:30 Breakfast
10:00-13:00 On pitch training
13:00-15:00 Lunch
15:00-18:00 Down time
18:00-19:30 Tea
19:30-22:30 Down time (22:30-common room closed)

So I set an alarm for 07:00 tomorrow and went to sleep.

I didn't hear Jade return last night but she is here when I wake up so I must have been asleep already. I grab my phone quickly to shut off the alarm. Jade is still sleeping so I quietly grab my training kit and go into the bathroom. I go for a shower. Brush my teeth. Do my hair. And get dressed.

I have my hair in it's signature low bun making sure to let a few shorter strands hang out. I put my Scotland cap on, no one else ever wears them but I'm a hat person I always have a cap or a beanie on. I then have my short sleeve training shirt and shorts. I roll the shorts ever so slightly to make them sit better. I have my silver chain on which I never take off as-well as a silver necklace with a small star on the end. Which to me signifies fate and I wear it when I train or play to show you can change your own fate.

I exit the bathroom it's now 07:36. I decide to wake up Jade as I don't want her to be late for breakfast. Jade moans a bit but eventually gets up and heads for the bathroom. I pack my training bag with my boots, a zippy and my headband amongst other things.

Soon Jade emerges from the bathroom and I chill on my phone while she gets ready.

      ***

Once we arrive at the dining hall we sit down at the same table as last night but this time we are joined by Hannah and Bella as well as Grace and Laura.

"Everyone excited for training then?" Hannah asks the group.

"Yeah can't wait to get going." Laura replied excitedly.

"I'm a bit nervous if I'm honest." Jade says.

"Aww don't be you will be fine." Bella assures her.

I stay quiet. I'd rather focus on getting mentally ready, I've got to focus on football and forget all the other shit.

       ***

As soon as training starts I am fine. Actually I'm more than fine I excel. We do some basic passing and dribbling drills which all goes well. Then we move on to a shooting drill which I thrive in, I don't miss a shot. I send ball after ball into the back of the net. I notice Jen nod at me approvingly before we get into a practice match. I play well and even manage to score a goal and get 3 assists.

        ***

The next couple of days at camp follow the same schedule. I continue to put out good performances on the pitch and my friendships also grow. I've become really close with Jade as well as Grace and Laura.

Today is our first day in the gym as a squad although I have been every day since we arrived. That may seem a bit over the top but the gym is an essential part of keeping my metal health struggles at bay.

We are doing data collection today which means that the coaches are recording our one rep maxes on various exercises so they can appropriately set our sessions. We are split into 4 groups, one with Dave our strength and conditioning coach, one with Lisa, one with Jen and one with Daniel our other assistant coach.

I'm in Jens group and I can tell by her expression that she is impressed when I easily out lift everyone on not only my group but the squad in the majority of the exercises.

"Mate didn't pin you for a gym rat." She teases. "you can bench more than me."

"I don't think it wouldn't be that hard to do that." I joke back.

We both laugh before returning to the task at hand.

       ***

The following day we have training in the morning followed by the bleep test in the afternoon. Everyone is nervous. Except me. I'm confident. I know I have good stamina.

Soon after we reach the "minimum level" we are expected to reach the girls start dropping like flies. There are 18 levels and by the 15th there is only me and two others left including Grace. The other girl drops soon followed by Grace. I'm proud of myself for lasting this long and I think screw it what is two more levels. The adrenaline from "winning" allows me to carry on. I fall to my knees then lay on my back as the last beep sounds.

Someone starts clapping and soon everyone joins in. Jen stands over me and extends a hand I grab it and she pulls me up to my feet.

"Nice job kid." She pats me on the back.

"Thanks." Is all I manage to reply, to exhausted to carry a conversation.