[14] Bittersweet Ending

Tomorrow we have our round of 16 match. Unfortunately we are facing France one of the competition favourites. Although realistically we don't have much of a chance at beating them that's not the sporting mindset so we are still going to go out there and give it our all.

We have a fairly early night. I struggle to switch off and get to sleep but I eventually do and luckily don't have any nightmares.

I wake up and follow my usual daily routine of going to the gym early before breakfast. I meet back up with Jade and we head down for breakfast we sit at our usual table and the energy is quite good and spirits are high.

Once we arrive at the ground we head out for our warm up the crowd is filling up again and I can tell it's going to be packed as there is already a lot of french fans filing up the stands.

We do our usual warm up. I play two touch with Hannah for a bit before taking some shots.

Lining up in the tunnel I take a final deep breath before walking out. The atmosphere is next level.

The game begins and our spirits are crushed slightly when France end up scoring in the 8th minute. France are relentless as they press us with attack after attack. We just appear stressed but we can't get ourselves under control. They end up scoring off a corner in the 36th minute as well.

The game feels as good as lost as we head in for half time. It was expected but still gut wrenching. Lisa tells us to go out there and just showcase ourselves and just forget about the result.

We go out and try our best again we get a few chances but nothing comes of it. In the 57th minute France get another. This time we don't let it affect us negatively and instead it fuels as on. We are playing for pride now and we want to show ourselves.

We get a couple more chances but Frances defence is strong and they keep knocking us back. This continues until the 81st minute. Kara plays a good ball into me in the middle of the pitch after a good build up of play. I receive the ball and I'm alone with the line of defenders and keeper ahead of me. I don't have any options to pass to. I could try dribble my way through but I decide that will end in my definitely getting dispossessed. So I only have one option even though I'm well outside the box I blast the ball toward the goal. At first it looks like it will go straight it into the hands of the keeper but suddenly it begins to curl and ripples into the top right corner.

I stand in utter disbelief. I hear our fans, the bench and my teammates uproar. But I remain frozen in shock until my teammates jump on me and swarm me. The game is as good as lost but that feeling was unbeatable.

The game ended 3-1 and although we were knocked out there are a lot of positives to take away. We head back to the hotel with mixed emotions we are happy with how we played overall but it's always going to be disappointing to go out in a major tournament.

We have 2 nights before we fly back to sunny Scotland the thought makes me feel slightly ill as my reality is very uncertain. I push these thoughts to the back of my mind because I want to enjoy my last few days with the squad.

Tonight we are having a little celebration just to celebrate our performances and achievements. Then tomorrow we are going to have our last day before flying out early the next day.