[13] - Group Games

After our win against Ireland we had 2 more group games against Spain and Belgium. We had 2 days off in between each game. Tournament football is so quick and hectic I honestly got swept up in it all.

We lost to Spain 5-2 which was obviously very disappointing but expected. Although we lost I was still happy with my performance I scored one which was a header from a corner and I assisted the other when I managed to get one on one with the keeper but I cut it back for someone else to tap it in.

Miraculously we went on to beat Belgium 2-1. Belgium opened the scoring in the 10th minute and a part of me thought that was it over but we kept on battling on and we had created a few chances as the first half was coming to a close. In the 42nd minute we managed to score it was a screamer from Rachel just outside the box. We couldn't believe we were back in it going into the second half. The second half was tough both teams had chances but nothing came of anything. It was exhausting we went back and forth defending then attacking for the majority of the half. In the 87th minute I found the ball at my feet in the box but it was so congested I didn't know how I would manage to come out of it with the ball. I dribbled round a defender and saw an opening if I was quick I would get the shot off. Just before I went to take the shot I felt pain go through me on my left leg. I fell to the ground on top of the player who had taken me down she had slid into me with two feet it was an automatic red and a penalty. I was a bit rattled from the tackle so when Niki handed me the ball I accepted nervously. "You got this kiddo." She told me. I nodded and took a couple deep breathes. I got this.

I made eye contact with the keeper. Before ever so slightly glancing to the bottom left. I wanted her to think I was trying to hide my gaze. I put the ball down and took four steps back I stole a quick glance at the bottom left agin before looking up. I could see the goalie trying to hide a smug face and I knew she'd took the bait.

I ran in to take it and simply dinked it straight down the middle. The goalie dived massively to the left. She had no hope of saving it.

2-1 with seconds to go. We finished off the couple mins of stoppage time and everyone swarmed me as we huddled on the pitch after shaking hands.

"That took balls kid." Laura said to me as she came onto the pitch.

Everyone laughed and agreed.

"Yeah, I would never had had the nerve to do that." Hannah chimes in.

"What were you thinking?" Kara asked almost quizzically.

"I don't know I just thought I'd back myself so I screwed with the keeper and took a couple glances to the left." I admitted

"Oh my god no way she totally thought she had caught you and then you did that." Grace laughed.

We had celebrated hard after that. It may not seem big but getting out the group stage at the Euros wasn't common for Scotland even if it was only U23s.

I'd played well and overall I appeared to be coping with my mental health but I was still waking up with nightmares every few nights or so. I feared maybe I wasn't coping and that I was to busy to feel how I was really feeling and it would all hit me like a wave after the tournament. I had to push these thought to the back of my mind though and focus on the game.