Chapter 18: A man's pride

We enter a building that looks new. My feet stepped past a lobby with grey walls with bright coloured marble floors and neatly arranged sofas.

Two receptionists immediately stood up and gave a slight nod when they saw Franz and Bern.

"Good evening, young master," they greeted politely. Meanwhile, Franz and Bern only passed them indifferently when I and Olivia followed them.

'Young master? What the hell ?! Am I the only poor one here? '

Now I understand with their annoying arrogant attitude. A rich young master who is good at martial arts is the perfect scenario to oppress a thin and poor man like me.

We entered the elevator to the 2nd floor.

* Tring! *

The elevator door opened and we stepped out. I swept my gaze around me, a large room with a light grey wall with a hexagonal-shaped arena in the middle of it, a 2-meter high net partition surrounding the arena. Around it were GYM equipments, large barbells and neatly lined punch bags. About more than ten people were busy practising in the room. From their body and muscle, I estimate that all of them at least are pro fighters.

Looking at them, I can already expect this to be an unfair fight for me, as I had previously predicted. My fears seized me, but I tried to stay calm. I see this as an opportunity to test my fighting skills and my ability to control myself, control my alter ego. Yes, since they challenged me in the cafe I decided to let my demonic side take over this battle, but this time I won't let it devour my consciousness. I will make Ethan and Damian as one, I will control this system.

-Clap! -Clap! - Clap!

Franz clapped loudly several times. Everyone stopped their activities and turned their attention to him.

"Today, we have a guest!" Franz said, stepping into the middle of the room while they immediately gathered toward him.

Franz put his arm around my shoulder and pulled me roughly to him. Seeing my thin body which was easily carried by him, the others immediately gave me a disparaging look.

"This is Ethan! He will be my sparring partner today. Prepare the arena!"

Without saying anything, they dispersed and prepared the arena for us while holding back their laughter. I could even hear one of them say I could not last more than ten seconds.

Olivia's face turned worried, she pulled the hem of my sweater and I turned my head to her.

"Ethan ..." she whispered followed by a slight 'no' head shake, asking me to cancel this fight. Her brow wrinkled and her worries clearly visible on her face.

I held her hand.

"I can handle it," I said, giving her a reassuring smile. Although my body is thin, I still have my pride as a man and a man must not give up without a fight. That is my principle.

Franz realized we were holding hands and he immediately separated my hand from her with a displeased face.

"One more thing, a fight will not be exciting if there are no bets. How about we bet on something?"

"A bet?" I asked. I heard usually people like betting money in a duel but seeing our wealth difference I think money is not his goal.

He turned to Olivia and gave her a smirk.

"The winner will become Olivia's boyfriend."

Olivia's face went red with anger.

"You-"