Chapter 29: Death call

It was 2:54 PM, my last class was almost over while my lecturer was still speaking at the front. But instead of explaining about our subject, he told how he could catch a big fish when he was on vacation last week. Bored, I turned to the window facing the yard not far from me, staring at the other students who were busy chatting and laughing together. I smiled. In the past, I did not value what I have, what I thought was how to be better. I always live to chase my future. But since I died and turned into a demon, I came to realize that life is very valuable since we are very close to death. That's why, now, I live to enjoy my present and protect my loved one's smile.

"-han! Ethan!" a voice called me.

I turned to Larry, who sat next to me.

"Yes?"

"You were called by the lecturer..." he whispered in a panicked expression as his finger pointed to the front.

"Ethan!" The lecturer's voice called me.

I quickly stood up from my seat.

"Yes, Sir."

"You don't usually daze like this," he said. A wrinkle appeared on his forehead.

"I'm sorry, sir," I replied, looking down. Listening to his chatter about fishing is really boring, even some students started to play with their cellphones from behind the book. But somehow he never rebuked them, whereas this was the first time I was slack off and he immediately rebuked me.

"You're a model student. You should set an example for your other friends," he said again.

"Yes, sir," I replied, without raising my head.

Suddenly, Larry stood up from his seat.

"Please don't blame Ethan, sir."

I turned my gaze to Larry in surprise, not expecting him to stand up for me. This time I was sure he was defending me because there was no advantage in against the lecturer. I could even see Larry staring at our lecturer with a serious face.

"Ethan has just been rejected by Olivia. So I hope you can understand his feelings," he continued. His expression did not change to show how serious he is.

My jaws dropped in shock upon hearing it.

'What the heck? !! When did I get rejected by Olivia ?! '

While others also have the same expressions as me.

"Is that true, Ethan?" asked the lecturer.

"That's not true," I quickly refused in panic while returning my gaze to the front. Is the gossip 'Ethan had dumped Larry for Olivia ' not enough? So there must be another gossip titled 'Ethan was rejected by Olivia'?

Larry tapped me on the shoulder and I turned back at him in response. He looked at me with a wistful gaze and gave me a bitter smile.

"It's okay, buddy. Being rejected is normal, you don't need to deny it."

"But-"

Before I finished my sentence, another student interrupted me.

"Stay strong, Ethan," he said encouragingly.

I turned my gaze to the student.

"I do not-"

Again, my sentence was interrupted by others.

"Ethan, I never thought you were a brave person."

'Brave? Does that because no man dares to approach Olivia? '