Chapter 40: Unnamed hero

"Sorry for keeping you waiting," I said as I approached Emma, who was standing near the station entrance. Like yesterday she wore a tight outfit with a hood that covered her silver hair.

"Damian?" She made sure.

"Yes, it's me." My hand quickly opened the cap that covered my head so she could see my face more clearly. After I saw hers and Theo's clothes yesterday I concluded the demon hunters did not want the others to recognize their faces so I also did the same.

Emma was amazed at my readiness.

"Wow, you really are ready for this. I forgot to say that you have to hide your face, I even brought you a mask. But apparently, you have prepared it yourself."

I glanced at the thief-style mask in her hand and was grateful to have brought my cap. If I wear that mask, other people might think of me as a real thief.

"I already said I want to live a normal life. Of course, I'm ready for this," I said, putting my cap back on my head.

"Why do all demon hunters have to cover their faces?" I asked curiously.

"Because we have to hide our identities from the demons."

"Why do you have to hide your identity ?" I asked again. It feels strange, why should hunters hide themselves from their prey?

"To avoid our loved ones being targeted by the demons," she replied.

Now I understand why the demon hunters never tell their identities to the public even though they are heroes of this modern era. To be honest, even though I've turned into a demon, I have to admit that I know very little information about them. Moreover, the only demon I have encountered is the rat demons and the government never gave us any information about it. Actually, I wanted to ask Lilieth a lot of things, but it seems like she's very busy taking care of the crack.

"That's why we have to make sure the demons who have seen our faces die," she continued. She looked at me and smiled.

"Therefore I am truly grateful about yesterday. Because you not only saved me but also saved my family."

"I'm glad I can help you." To be honest, I was quite surprised that the demon hunters' duties were not only to endanger themselves but also their families.

"So what should we do to look for them?" I continued again.

She raised her hand and showed a device that resembled a strange watch mixed with a compass with statistics and digital numbers.

"This is demon compass. This device will detect Demonic Aura and show us their location."

My inactive Demonic Aura's status in my talent immediately crossed my head. I think that's why the demon hunters cannot detect me.

Shortly thereafter, she frowned as her eyes shifted on the compass in her hand.

My heart immediately pounded in tension but I still tried to maintain my calm.

"What is wrong?" I asked.

"This device is quieter than yesterday. Maybe only a few demons are roaming around tonight."

"Thank goodness," I said. Emma hasn't fully recovered yet, it would be better if she could go home early to rest.

"Alright, let's get started." She was about to turn around but I caught her hand, breaking her movements.

'Observation.'

I noticed her face was still a little pale and decided to check her to make sure her condition is fine.